Why do you believe in marriage?

I'll be honest, I don't. The whole idea of actually being "married" to someone makes me want to vomit, even though I've been with my current boyfriend for 6 years and we have 2 children together.

What really made you take the leap? Or did you not take the leap?

kryssie78

Asked by kryssie78 at 10:23 PM on Feb. 2, 2009 in Relationships

• I don't believe in marriage anymore and when I did I thought it should be a negotiable contract renewable every 3-5 yrs. I figured that would give you time enough to see if you made a mistake and couldn't adjust and you could not renew. On the other hand if you had a good spouse then you would work hard to keep that spouse. JMO. Needless to say I'm single and have been happily single now for 22 yrs. That marriage crap is for the young if they even want it! lol

Answer by admckenzie at 10:42 PM on Feb. 2, 2009

• I believe in marriage! I love being married! I have been married for 21 years my husband and I have four children together. I lived with my husband a year before we married, my husband and I got married because we felt it important and believe in the unity of man and wife.  My husband and I are a team, I love being his MRS. sharing his last name.  Being the mother of his children, wearing my wedding ring. We were living together and that was a commitment being married is taking our love to a higher level. 

mommiedear

Answer by mommiedear at 11:00 PM on Feb. 2, 2009

• i do i do, believe in marriage also. i was just thinking today while my hubby and i made dinner how happy i was married and lucky to have a hubby who pulls his load and then some. i would never waste my good yrs on a man that would never marry me and then one day just up and leaves me with no recourse to his assets or his money. i love being able to call my husband a husband or my hubby and love it when he says my wife. my hubby just knew i was the one when he saw me. i sometimes think when girls are with guys but not married it's cause the guy just doesn't think they are the ones to marry. no offense. it's just i got that from the book "he's just not that into you". being married entitles you to so much more. like in 4 yrs had you been married you could get half his social security should you ever need it. you won't get any now unless you get married and now have to wait 10 yrs. being married tells me i was the one. he's my 1
    melody77

Answer by melody77 at 11:17 PM on Feb. 2, 2009

• I believe in marriage. I was married to my first husband for almost 22 years. I am now very happily remarried for almost ten years. I lived with my second husband for over a year before we got married. I guess I was afraid after the situation with my ex husband. I didn't ever want to be hurt like that again. I after time, realized that love always requires a certain amount of "risk." Because of my spiritual beliefs and the ages of my kids at the time, I was not comfortable living with another man in front of my very wounded kids. I guess I ended up doing something (living with someone before marriage), that violated my own personal conscience and beliefs. Marriage, if it is to be a good one, is hard work-but well worth it.
    Joran1025

Answer by Joran1025 at 11:21 PM on Feb. 2, 2009

• I didn't believe in marriage when I got married - though I always {knew} my husband was my soul mate and we were fated to be. The odds were stacked against us. LOL> I was 17 - he was 24 and recently divorced (but I spyed him when I was 11 and he was "it" for me). I was all for moving in, but he said "NO; if you move in, we do it right." We dated for 4 months before we "did it right" and have been married for 34 years - BEST ROLL OF THE DICE I EVER DID.

snowgirl79

Answer by snowgirl79 at 12:37 AM on Feb. 3, 2009

• I believe that marriage is a state of mind. So if you've been happy and together for 6 years, then you can call that a marriage. The only reason i married my hubby was to be able to file taxes together. Cause in this day and age, thats all the marriage certificate is for anyway. Don't get me wrong, i love being married, but i would feel the same way if it was just a "marriage" in principle only too.
    ozarkgirl3

Answer by ozarkgirl3 at 4:11 PM on Feb. 3, 2009