what did i just do?

I just nursed my baby after drinking a glass of wine! I just assumed that alcohol doesn't come out in the milk! and now I am reading about it and it does. Do you think I hurt him? It was one glass and to be honest I was feelin a lil buzzed. I feel horrible. I feel like such a dumb a**!!

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 10:32 PM on Feb. 2, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• Try not to beat yourself up. It was a mistake and it sounds like you don't plan to let it happen again. I'm sure your baby is fine.
    jamesmommy12

Answer by jamesmommy12 at 10:34 PM on Feb. 2, 2009

• dont worry!! its perfectly fine!! its not something you should make a habit of, but so little of what you drank actually went into your milk. now if you would have done 5 shots then nursed, thats a different story! but one glass of wine is fine! dont beat yourself up!
    Amanduhpanda

Answer by Amanduhpanda at 10:49 PM on Feb. 2, 2009

• More than likely your baby will be fine. Probably will sleep for a while...lol! Don't be too hard on yourself; you are not the first mom to drink and nurse and won't be the last. Hunsreds of thousands of babies have probably had this happen to them and they turned out fine. Just keep and eye on your baby for the next few hours and it should pass through them like it would you. Just try and remember next time to either eat with you 1 glass of wine, or wait about 2 hours to nurse. Hang in there.
    gwood

Answer by gwood at 10:51 PM on Feb. 2, 2009

• it's not a great idea, but one drink one time isn't going to cause any permanent damage, jsut don't do it again. give your body 1 hour per drink before nursing.
    teri4lance

Answer by teri4lance at 10:52 PM on Feb. 2, 2009

• if you had a class and breastfeed right after, chances are it didnt even get to milk...I read if you want to have a glass of wine the best way to go is to have it right while you breastfeed so then your body has more time to filter it out before next feeding
    Albi1623

Answer by Albi1623 at 11:23 PM on Feb. 2, 2009

• just one glass of wine is not going to hurt anything, so don't bash yourself! Most doctors will tell you it's ok to have one glass of wine or one beer, even if you are nursing, in a 12-24 hour period. I didn't drink while I was nursing, but if you do happen to have one drink of wine or beer, it will not damage your baby.
    Guaranteed

Answer by Guaranteed at 12:24 AM on Feb. 3, 2009

• I read that if you have any alcohol than wait 2 hours before you nurse. i've had some wine and than wait a little more than 2 hours. and what i've noticed is that it actually helps me produce more milk after i've had some.

Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 1:13 AM on Feb. 3, 2009

• 1-2 drinks is fine. Any more then that, I would wait 2-3 hrs per drink before nursing again.
    Krysta622

Answer by Krysta622 at 8:20 AM on Feb. 3, 2009