what do i do for a bump on the back of the head?

My daughter just smacked the back of her head on the counter and now has a big purple bump. she wont let me keep ice on it, any advice?

alyssasmommy312

Asked by alyssasmommy312 at 10:36 PM on Feb. 2, 2009 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• Ibuprofen will help with inflamation and pain.
    ReneeK3

Answer by ReneeK3 at 10:37 PM on Feb. 2, 2009

• A really hard bump to the lower back of the head can sometimes be a problem...probably no big deal though and I wouldn't lose sleep over it unless 1. that's where she hit it and 2. she becomes nauseated and/or more lethargic than usual at this time of night. Just keep an eye on her, give her some tylenol or ibuprofen like ReneeK3 says, and try to relax! She's really probably fine. I sure don't want to scare you (because honestly its most likely unnecessary) but you should know what to look out for just in case. And trust your instinct! If something doesn't feel quite right, then call your ped.
    Hope this helps -
    gomomma

Answer by gomomma at 12:14 AM on Feb. 3, 2009

• thankyou both for your answers, this is the first time she's really hurt herself.
    alyssasmommy312

Answer by alyssasmommy312 at 12:27 AM on Feb. 3, 2009