What's the purpose of asking for this?

On my dau's supply list the 5th grade teachers expect ea. child to bring in 60 pencils! I have a feeling that they will be put into a bin for all to share. I'd rather keep my own child supplied, but have a problem providing for the whole class, since I know not everyone will be sending that many pencils. I have always kept my dau well-stocked on all her supplies & even replenish tissues throughout the school year. I know pencils aren't super expensive, but it's the point. What do you think?

mrsmom110

Asked by mrsmom110 at 2:35 PM on Jul. 21, 2012 in

• 60 seems like a lot... we are asked for 20. then after Christmas they sometimes ask for 20 more. Just buy what you can and send the rest later in the year!
    But_Mommie

Answer by But_Mommie at 3:28 PM on Jul. 21, 2012

• I am a teacher. Do you want to know how many pencils I buy a year for my class? Please, help a teacher out and buy the pencils.
    layh41407

Answer by layh41407 at 2:40 PM on Jul. 21, 2012

• You can literally buy tons of pencils for next to nothing. If some kids cannot afford their own, feel good that you are helping others. Last year by using coupons at Target, I was able to get 6 packs of pencils, 10 packs of pens, 4 notebooks, 6 scotch tapes, 2 white outs and various sharpies for FREE. Keep an eye on the sales and why not provide something to others???
    m-avi

Answer by m-avi at 2:40 PM on Jul. 21, 2012

• Please provide the pencils if you can. Believe it or not there are children who cannot afford even them.
    BrawnwynII

Answer by BrawnwynII at 2:38 PM on Jul. 21, 2012

• Just from homeschooling one child last year, I have a newfound respect for those lists requiring what seems to be insane amounts of supplies. Yep, odds are, at that grade level they're still on a community property set up, but I can tell you.. just from homeschooling one child I easily went through 100+ pencils in one school year. Pencils break, get lost, kids sharpen way too long, etc. Stuff happens.

Considering with sales, 60 pencils should cost you approximately $3, I would just suck it up and help out any way I could.
    Ginger0104

Answer by Ginger0104 at 2:45 PM on Jul. 21, 2012

• I would ask the teacher how my child is going to go through 60 pencils in a year! That may sound hateful but times are hard and I can't be responsible for everyone else's kid when I'm working my tail off to be able to provide for my own.
    BeautyGuru

Answer by BeautyGuru at 2:41 PM on Jul. 21, 2012

• So, which child are you going to pick to go without? It's more equitable to spread the supplies amongst the students than to have the teacher make up, out of her own pocked, the deficit
    adnilm

Answer by adnilm at 2:37 PM on Jul. 21, 2012

• Trust me. They go through pencils. I know some kids who might go through 60 pencils in a month.

Trust me I know times are hard, but the teacher can't always supply everything either. I know I do my best, but having the parents help would be nice. While some might think "But I'm hardly getting by" how about the student that I have that I know is living in a car outside his aunts house and even thought I call CYS, the aunt and the mother then insist that it isn't true. There are always people worse off.
    layh41407

Answer by layh41407 at 2:45 PM on Jul. 21, 2012

• Provide what you can. You may be asked for pencils, other classes will be providing markers, or erasers or glue sicks. Schools are struggling to provide an education to our children while being underfunded more each year.
    meooma

Answer by meooma at 4:47 PM on Jul. 21, 2012

• I think that since I probably won't have the money to buy school supplies this year my children should just stay home and not get an education since we are too poor to buy pencils because their father decided to get pulmonary embolism and almost died. And now we are so far behind in bills we are being taken to court for medical bills. Glad everything is going well for you.
    luvmygrlz

Answer by luvmygrlz at 2:41 PM on Jul. 21, 2012