My husband and I have decided to use an online do-it-yourself divorce kit. Does anyone know if it tells you how to calculate alimony and child support payments he will be resposible to make? If not how should that be calculated. I want to be fair but dont want me or my daughter to be taken advantage of either. Any suggestions will be very helpful.

We have been married for 23 years.

hauklady

Asked by hauklady at 11:07 PM on Feb. 2, 2009 in Money & Work

• Child support calculator

https://www.cse.ca.gov/ChildSupport/cse/guidelineCalculator

I can't find anything on alimony, sorry.
    melamommy24

Answer by melamommy24 at 12:48 AM on Feb. 3, 2009

• google
    child support calculator
    LauraPPL

Answer by LauraPPL at 8:58 AM on Feb. 3, 2009

• When I was a Paralegal, and worked for a Divorce Attorney, Child Support was generally 33% of the non custodial parent's income..
    Zanny

Answer by Zanny at 9:08 AM on Feb. 3, 2009

• just get an attorney so no one gets financially hurt. There are lots of things to consider having been marriedfor so many years. Would you get any of his retirement? You are entitled to it.  Does he pay for health insurance for the child?  Who gets the home, the credit card bills etc?  There are so many things you need to be aware of.  If it is a non contested divorce the attorneys' fees will not be that much.

halfpint6niner

Answer by halfpint6niner at 9:42 AM on Feb. 3, 2009

• Trust me filling fees and other fees associated with doing your own divorce is almost just as expensive as hiring an attorney who knows what he is doing. You don't want to screw up on anything and not receive what you are entitled to. If you both cannot afford an attorney have just YOU hire an attorney, come up with fair terms, have him served and then as long as he doesn't contest anything he can not do a darn thing. If he doesn't respond with or without a lawyer in 30 days it goes into "default" and your lawyer goes to a judge to sign off on the divorce. We split up on April 1st 2008 and by June 16th 2008 I was divorced. Lawyer fees were $1200!
    Mom2Jack04

Answer by Mom2Jack04 at 10:34 AM on Feb. 3, 2009

• oh and the 33% mentioned above is if there are 2 or more children. Federal guidelines for child support of one child is 17% of the non custodian parents income.....
    Mom2Jack04

Answer by Mom2Jack04 at 10:35 AM on Feb. 3, 2009