• In the Spotlight:

eye color

My son is 1month and 1 week old. He has light blue eyes, and I'm just wondering what are the chances of his eyes changing? since me and my hubby both have green eyes, can his eyes still change to green?

Albi1623

Asked by Albi1623 at 11:18 PM on Feb. 2, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• they can change all the way up to the age of one i think
    josalin

Answer by josalin at 11:19 PM on Feb. 2, 2009

• They can most definitely change! Most light skinned babies will start out blue eyes and dark-skinned babies will have brown eyes. It can change for quite some time, just be patient!!!!!!!!!! lolol It's not decided for a while!!!
    AM78

Answer by AM78 at 11:22 PM on Feb. 2, 2009

• I have heard of their eyes changing at three years-old. My son is 6 months tomorrow and his eyes are just beginning to change from blue to something else. I don't know if they'll be brown, hazel, or green. They could be anything. My mother has eyes that change color depending on what she wears. I hope he gets those!
    beckcorc

Answer by beckcorc at 11:22 PM on Feb. 2, 2009

• An infant's eye color is determined by a substance called melanin. Melanin is a dark pigment contained in the iris, the structure that controls how much light is allowed into the eye. The color of the iris is determined by the amount of melanin in the iris. Light eyes have very little pigment, whereas darker eyes have a lot. In newborns, the pigmentation process of the iris is not yet complete. Babies with darker skin are usually born with dark eyes that stay relatively dark. Iris color in lighter-skinned babies is usually a blue or bluish-gray color at birth, then change as they grow. Melanin production changes during the first year of life, usually resulting in a darker, deeper eye color.

Permanent eye color is not set until a baby is at least nine months old, so wait until your child's first birthday to determine what color they will be.
    josalin

Answer by josalin at 11:22 PM on Feb. 2, 2009

• When I was born I had blue eyes and they changed to Hazel when I was around 2
    Anonymous

• The can still change. In general, whatever color they are when she turns 1 is most likely the color they will be when she gets her driver's license. But, did you know that eye color can change at any point in your life? It doesn't happen often but it can.
    kaycee14

Answer by kaycee14 at 11:55 PM on Feb. 2, 2009

• baby boyMy son's eyes at birth were a blueish gray marble color. After he turned 10 months his eye color turn hazel.

MEDWILLIS

Answer by MEDWILLIS at 12:23 AM on Feb. 3, 2009

• My cousins eyes changed from blue to brown at 5yo. I wish my kids eyes would change to brown then maybe they would look like me LOL. I have brown hair and brown eyes and so does my SO, they have blonde hair and blue eyes. ALL 3.
    edgpag

Answer by edgpag at 10:03 AM on Feb. 3, 2009