he has bad credit!

So I recently got engaged to my baby's father! I was really excited but then thinking about the future kinda brought my happiness down. My s/o has bad credit and I've worked really hard to build mine and keep it at good credit. I pay my bills on time and I don't know how to tell him that I don't want to marry him yet. I heard that if you marry someone with bad credit it turns into your credit. Is this true? Please help!

babyangelromero

Asked by babyangelromero at 11:19 PM on Feb. 2, 2009 in Money & Work

• no it does not turn your credit bad. check back to your other post to get the rest of my reply.
    xxhazeldovexx

Answer by xxhazeldovexx at 1:23 AM on Feb. 3, 2009

• It's a problem if you apply for a loan together...but you may well be able to apply for loans on your own credit.

Answer by gdiamante at 2:44 AM on Feb. 3, 2009

• lol you marry someone because you love them...that has nothing to do with their credit! His credit won't affect your credit. If you got a loan together and he didn't keep up the payments then ya it would be a problem and probably would affect your credit but otherwise no...your fine!
    businesswife1

Answer by businesswife1 at 3:12 AM on Feb. 3, 2009

• depending on just how bad the credit is he may want to start paying some things off. If the items on his credit are old as in more than 7 years they won't be on the report anymore you need to check all 3 credit reports https://www.annualcreditreport.com/cra/index.jsp they are free. See what is on there and how long before it goes off. Then he will have to build his credit because he will be at square one. As for his credit making yours go down no the only time that comes into play is if you go for a joint loan. My dad co signed for me on a loan once his credit score was perfect 875 mine at the time was 530 we had a hard time getting the loan still but we got it and it bought my credit score up. Now mine is not as good as my dad's but close.

babyfat5

Answer by babyfat5 at 7:45 AM on Feb. 3, 2009

• wow you dont love him enough to marry him cause he has Bad credit? Thats shady. There has to be other reasons then that.
    Alexsmom04

Answer by Alexsmom04 at 8:55 AM on Feb. 3, 2009

• thank you ladies for your helpful and great responses and alexsmom04. That is the only reason. I love him and have children with him but time and time again I continue to hear about women who have to pay off there husbands debt. I don't want to be in that situation. I don't understand why people always questions things like that. I do realize that I've been with him through it but I've been responisble enough to pay all my bills on time and I'm sure you wont believe this either but I have never in my life since I started paying rent been late. It's true some people are just more responsible than others. I would have married him years ago before he started acting irrisponsible but he wasnt ready for the commitment, now he is and I'm going to marry him I just wanted to know if in the end it would cost me more to marry him.
    babyangelromero

Answer by babyangelromero at 2:38 PM on Feb. 3, 2009