Why do people think teen sex = pregnancy? adult content

I'm 35 years old and have been pregnant twice in my life, both times were planned. So many people talk about teens getting pregnant and I know that does happen, but if a teen is responsible with birth control and condoms are used every time, then its highly doubtful they would get pregnant. My 16 yr old dd has been having safe sex for the past six months, she is on depo and her and her bf use condoms. I do not worry about her getting pregnant.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 7:29 AM on Jul. 22, 2012 in Teens (13-17)

• Probably because in many instances, we only know that a teen has been having sex because...they get pregnant. I mean, I don't know any that go "Oh my God, I've been having safe sex and I'm not pregnant! How did this happen to me?" But you do hear "Oh my God, I've been having sex and now I'm pregnant! How did this happen to me?"

Personally, I would not encourage my sons (when they become teens) to have sex, but I will teach them about safe sex and how to make sure they do their part to avoid getting a girl pregnant.
    wendythewriter

Answer by wendythewriter at 7:52 AM on Jul. 22, 2012

• Prevention like you said is the only way to avoid this...but most teens don't think that it will happen to them.....a lot of teens think that they are invulnerable .........

Answer by older at 7:57 AM on Jul. 22, 2012

• Because teens do not always think with their brains.
    Melbornj

Answer by Melbornj at 8:22 AM on Jul. 22, 2012

• It is true for any age female. If they use protection they can prevent pregnancy. But their are a lot of females out their that find out birth control does not work on them. They get pregnant anyways. Or they have bad side effects. Sex in itself is a big responsibility most teens are not capable of controlling it.  Remember condomsare not 100% effective  either. And their are STD's   Their is more to sex then pregnancy.Most parent of teen do not talk to their teens about sex good enough for the teen to be responsible enough to prevent it. Let's not forget the teen males in all this. Sex is a 50/50 responsibility here. The teen girl can't get pregnant with out a male.

Answer by louise2 at 8:26 AM on Jul. 22, 2012

• it doesn't matter how safe they are or how safe you think they're being (how do you know with 100% certainty that they're using condoms anyway?) it's that teens aren't mature enough for sex. i know i wasn't, so yes that makes me a hypocrite, but now that i'm older and "wiser" lol i know that i wasn't ready for the consequences of sex as a teenager. it's not about age but maturity, really. and as hormone driven as teens are, sometimes they don't care about being safe when it comes to sex.
    tnm786

Answer by tnm786 at 9:21 AM on Jul. 22, 2012

• Because people treat teens as if they are total morons. They use the same broad paint brush that is used when talking about religions and usually with the same results.
    SpiritedWitch

Answer by SpiritedWitch at 9:34 AM on Jul. 22, 2012

• b/c most of them don't have enough sense to have safe sex. like you, i only got pregnant the times that i planned but i was never on birth control and when my dh and i first started dating, he "pulled out" NOT SMART. I would not encourage my 16 year old to have sex but I will make sure my kids are educated on the subject
    josiesmommy00

Answer by josiesmommy00 at 9:46 AM on Jul. 22, 2012

• that makes me a hypocrite, but now that i'm older and "wiser" lol i know that i wasn't ready for the consequences of sex as a teenager. --

you said it..doesn't make you a hypocrite. you are experienced NOW and KNOW the ramifications of irresponsible behavior because of your experience. that's the difference in age/experience and teens..they don't know, they assume, they think the world is theirs..sex is not a have-to-have experience as a teen. i wish more parents would press that idea, along with communication and protection.
    pregnancy isn't the worse thing that can happen to a teen..there are STDs that are much worse.
    dullscissors

Answer by dullscissors at 10:24 AM on Jul. 22, 2012

• I agree that depo is at least within the parents control, and there is no "forgetting" that one in the heat of the moment. Condoms, well, I wouldn't trust they're being used consistently unless you're there putting it on for him.

No, it doesn't happen to everyone, but I wouldn't be thrilled about my child putting themselves in the position where it could happen. Teens are unprepared to have babies, period. It interferes with education, it interferes with them socially, it is financially devastating, and regardless of how frequently it happens versus birth control working, I would not want my teen risking it.
    Mom-2-3-Girlz

Answer by Mom-2-3-Girlz at 10:40 AM on Jul. 22, 2012

• I've never wanted to reach through the computer and punch someone so bad as I do right now.

NOTHING but ABSTINENCE is 100% effective. What happens if they do get pregnant? You ready to be a grandma? Cause I can just about guarantee that they are not financially, emotionally, physically ready for parenthood-and THAT'S why teens shouldn't be allowed to have sex.

Bad parent award goes to you!
    SaraD1989

Answer by SaraD1989 at 10:59 AM on Jul. 22, 2012