This was my response to a post and it got me thinking...

With the controversy with illegal immigrants and the race questions constantly being posed, on both sides of the fence I wonder what happened to this America...
Not like the brazen giant of Greek fame,
With conquering limbs astride from land to land;
Here at our sea-washed, sunset gates shall stand
A mighty woman with a torch, whose flame
Is the imprisoned lightning, and her name
Mother of Exiles. From her beacon-hand
Glows world-wide welcome; her mild eyes command
The air-bridged harbor that twin cities frame.
"Keep, ancient lands, your storied pomp!" cries she
With silent lips. "Give me your tired, your poor,
Your huddled masses yearning to breathe free,
The wretched refuse of your teeming shore.
Send these, the homeless, tempest-tossed to me,
I lift my lamp beside the golden door!

micrespo

Asked by micrespo at 11:35 PM on Feb. 2, 2009 in Politics & Current Events

• Beautiful micrespo! We truly are a Land of Immigrants...is amazing how so many have forgotten this. Thank you for posting this beautiful piece. I believe somehow, America has lost her way.
    LilLizaJane

Answer by LilLizaJane at 11:43 PM on Feb. 2, 2009

• I have nothing against anybody for the color of their skin. OR people that want to migrate to America, as long as they do it legally.
    xxhazeldovexx

Answer by xxhazeldovexx at 11:37 PM on Feb. 2, 2009

• Well, I'm going for broke tonight - I agree with xxhazeldovexx :-)

snowgirl79

Answer by snowgirl79 at 11:40 PM on Feb. 2, 2009

• do u have any idea how hard is to do it legally they really dont give u a chance but i know is the right thing to do
    Anonymous

• I just cant believe how some Americans get all worked up over someone from another country trying to come over here and better themselves. My God, we have so many problems in this country with the economy, war in iraq etc., People act like this country is great and it really isnt.
    Anonymous

• it doesnt need to be easy. tak care of who is here first
    Anonymous

• "we have so many problems in this country with the economy"

Due, in part to illegal immigration. Go look up how much of CA's 40 some billion dollar deficit, the reason they are withholding tax returns and freezing services, is due to money spent on illegals. There is a reason there is a legal path for immigration and there's a reason it's hard - we do not have the room or resource to take in all the people in the world who need help. We can't even take 1% of them, and there will always be exponentially more. They need to fix their own countries, not set all their hopes and dreams on ours. How many potential doctors and engineers are wasted because their parents dragged them here and forced them to the life of an illegal instead of staying home and doing whatever it takes to get them an education?
    NotPanicking

Answer by NotPanicking at 11:47 PM on Feb. 2, 2009

• To Notpanicking...

What if all the immigrants of years ago did as you say in your 'answer'....Would you be here today or will you tell me that your people came over on the Mayflower? Ooops...they were immigrants too!
    LilLizaJane

Answer by LilLizaJane at 11:56 PM on Feb. 2, 2009

• Immigration standards are more lax now than they were when my family came over. We used to have quotas of less than 100 ppl/yr from most countries. So "my people" came over the right way. You need to brush up on your history - it used to be illegal to immigrate AT ALL if you were Asian, not counting the ones we locked up in interment camps. Some countries were allowed 3 people per year. If you were "impure" (Catholic or Jewish) you had to hope you made it through the first month alive. Today anyone can get in, as long as they do it right.
    NotPanicking

Answer by NotPanicking at 12:00 AM on Feb. 3, 2009

• being an immigrant is one thing, being an illegal immigrant is a whole other.
    JuLiAnSmOmMy317

Answer by JuLiAnSmOmMy317 at 12:23 AM on Feb. 3, 2009