rinsing out excess detergent

I have laundry woes. my dh is allergic to detergent, and apparently our clothing is over loaded with soap. the clothes seem clean but will suds up even when I am just rinsing again, is there an easier way to get detergent out? also towels smell moldy when I start to dry myself off after a bath, how do I get the mold out even though I cant see it or smell it when they are dry out of the dryer?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 11:35 PM on Feb. 2, 2009 in Home & Garden

• Okay, first I'll start with the smelly towels. Add a little bit of baking soda to the water with the laundry detergent.

For the allergies, Try using All Free and clear. It has no dies or perfumes or anything. Are you maybe adding a little too much detergent to begin with? Try setting the machine to do an extra rinse cycle.
    Rebecca7708

Answer by Rebecca7708 at 11:41 PM on Feb. 2, 2009

• I have been using no dies and perfumes, I have tried all kinds of detergents that are free of these including the one you mention and I guess I tend to use to much because after a while my dh gets allergic, I dont normally do extra rinse unless he has a problem but it takes lots of rinsing, I'll try baking soda, for the towels, but I think I have tried it before, but to be honest I am not consistent with it. I just want a quick fix, to get the mold immediately out (bleach hasn't helped) and the detergent out. anyway thankyou for your suggestion, I guess I should make extra rinse a habit.
    Anonymous

• Try that detergent for babies. I think it's Dreft?

If your towels are sudsy even after rinsing then you know you're using too much soap. I had to stop using so much soap also. I always felt like I wasn't putting enough in. You know how little the caps are, but I started using the recommended amount and it has been fine. good luck
    GMR

Answer by GMR at 10:42 AM on Feb. 3, 2009

• Hi--I think I can help you. My husband had eczema and even the dermatologist's prescriptions couldn't get rid of it. The last one told him he must be allergic to something. I started studying all the over-the-counter products and the toxic chemicals that are in them. It takes 14 rinses to get all the chemicals out after washing. There is no government control if these products are intended for use in our homes and they don't even have to test the chemicals before they use them. It is in all our laundry, cleaning, baby products, bath and body, hair products, etc. They cause cancer, asthma, eczema, central nervous system damage, and fertility problems-just to name a few. We started shopping with a company that has over 400 non-toxic products for the home. My husbands eczema is GONE!! Contact me at lsanow@frontiernet.net
    and I will email you some of the chemical info.
    lindasanow

Answer by lindasanow at 12:02 PM on Feb. 3, 2009

• my dh is extremely allergic to dreft for babies, I had a girlfriend who used it 12 years in her laundry, she was a mom of two, anyway, I loved the smell, so even though I wasnt a mom yet, I bought some and my poor dh had a terrible reaction (immediate too) to the stuff, so I quit using dyes. Ps, I'm embarassed to be continously making mistakes with the laundry, so that is why I'm anonymous.
    Anonymous

• and perfumes in my soaps, even bought health store varieties, but I guess the problem is even though I used called for amounts, it leaves a residue that eventually builds up and gives my dh a bad case of hives.
    Anonymous

• Do the extra rinse, use detergent free of dyes and perfumes, use less than you think- maybe 3/4 what is called for. rinse in warm water. maybe even run an extra rinse after that.

Answer by Bmat at 8:49 PM on Feb. 3, 2009

• Wash everything in white vinegar a few times to get the extra soap residue out, then you can start fresh, so to speak. You can make your own low-sudsing laundry detergent that is good for allergies (and cheaper to use!) - message me if you want the recipe, 'cause there isn't enough room here for the directions on how to make it. For the towels, the mold smell may be coming back b/c you are either not allowing the towels to hang out to dry completely before tossing them in a hamper or there is too much moisture in your bathroom & you need to open a window or run an exhaust fan that vents to the outside. To get rid of the mold smell, soak the towels in the washer for an hour with one cup of baking soda, then run the wash w/laundry detergent as you normally would, except also toss in a Downy Ball filled with 1/4 to 1/2 cup of white vinegar; this will help kill the mold & it acts like a fabric softener (w/o the smell or residues).
    mom2aspclboy

Answer by mom2aspclboy at 8:49 AM on Feb. 4, 2009