Eating issue

My daughter is now 24 months, and really refuses to eat anything but junk food, [[FOR THE RECORD I DONT JUST GIVE HER JUNK FOOD ALL DAY]]
She always wants chips or chocolate. And I refuse to give her those all day long.
So I give her fruit snacks, and when it comes to lunch or dinner time, she wont eat anything at all!!!

I'm getting worried...
Any suggestions?

TheTara

Asked by TheTara at 11:47 PM on Feb. 2, 2009 in Toddlers (1-2)

• don't give her anything but good meals and good snacks shell finally get hungry and eat the good things
    josalin

Answer by josalin at 11:53 PM on Feb. 2, 2009

• Take all the junky snacks and put them in a closet where she can't see them. When she asks, show her the empty cupboard where they used to be and tell her they are all gone.

Have 3 set meals and 2 set snacks a day. Same time everyday.
    Offer her good foods at each. If she eats, great. If not, oh well. Don't comment about how she'll be hungry later. Don't beg or bager her to eat. Dont' comment if she DOES eat.
    Limit milk to no more than 20 ounces a day. Limit juice to no more than 6 ounces a day.
    Keep track of what she does eat. Try to offer the "missing food groups" at other meals.
    If she whines and demands a snack, simply remind her that it isn't time to eat yet. Set a timer and let her know that when the timer goes off, it will be time to eat.
    Offer one thing at each meal that you strongly think she will eat.
    And be patient. That ones hardest for me.
    kaycee14

Answer by kaycee14 at 1:05 AM on Feb. 3, 2009

• I had to stop buying fruit snacks for Mayah. They seem like a good idea, what with the word fruit, but they have a high sugar content and get stuck in teeth. And I wish I had the dedication of kaycee14, I can't keep track of every single thing my daughter eats when other family members give her food occasionally too.

The other idea is to make the regular foods fun. For some kids that works really well. Good luck!
    jemm

Answer by jemm at 2:00 AM on Feb. 3, 2009

• I found that with 4 I can not keep the chips out of view. I give sandwiches and they are to eat most or all of it then they get chips. My 19 mo will eat then ask for the chips. When I do give them she eats what she has then goes back to the sandwich that she had not finished and finishes it. The same if the kids have sweets she will eat it then go back to what is on her tray. She does not eat all of her food but she is not starving so I just go with the flow.
    tichelle

Answer by tichelle at 6:13 AM on Feb. 3, 2009

• Sometimes it is better that she is eating the "junk food" as long as she is eating something. How long has this been going on though? That depends to... if it has been going on for a while then I would get some advise from her doctor. Sometimes though... kids just go through times when they really dont want anything to eat.... but junk food tastes really good so they will eat that... but like i said it just depends on how long this has been going on... good luck.... for now try toast with butter and cinnamin and fruits and veggies... good luck
    sam
    Arielsmommy507

Answer by Arielsmommy507 at 7:48 AM on Feb. 3, 2009

• TAKE ALL THAT MESS OUT OF THE HOUSE PERIOD! She only wants it because you are giving it to her, she can only eat what YOU give her!
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:46 AM on Feb. 3, 2009