Does a mother who likes homebirth not as responsible as a mother who goes to a hospital?

I ask since i decided several weeks into my pregnancy i should of went with my first instinct and kept my birth very simple,safe,holistic.
I told my doctor i was taking my birth in another direction which she knows my beliefs and she told me i was not responsible and this method is risky and i was going to cause danger and health issues to my baby.
I live 11 blocks from the nearest hospital incase of concerns,so i ask what do you think about such a comment and am i causing health issues to me and baby.
I'm using a certified midwife with a great care history,any advice?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 12:00 AM on Feb. 3, 2009 in Pregnancy

• i think you should do what you want
    aliciatron

Answer by aliciatron at 12:01 AM on Feb. 3, 2009

• i would be scared but i think its ur decision a midwife will know if u get complications and glad to hear u are close to the hospital i say no its up to u
    josalin

Answer by josalin at 12:02 AM on Feb. 3, 2009

• I think if you are informed and you have done research and there will be a trained birthing professional, then you are fine.
    Rebecca7708

Answer by Rebecca7708 at 12:05 AM on Feb. 3, 2009

• HUH? Thats the way the always did it back in the day...
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 12:08 AM on Feb. 3, 2009

• The infant mortality for home births are tied with those of hospitals. The c/s, induction, fetal distress, drugs, and intervention rates are astronimically higher for hospitals then home births.

Home births are awesome, and not irresponsible at all. Your OB just is mad about losing money!

We are doing a home birth and couldn't be happier with the choice. You should join "birth is normal" and gather are the knowledge you can! It's a great group with amazing women!
    celticreverie

Answer by celticreverie at 12:09 AM on Feb. 3, 2009

• Thank you i just went to the birth is normal group and requested to join:>)
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 12:18 AM on Feb. 3, 2009

• You are welcome. You can also go to my page and look at my journals I have stuff written about my decision to home birth. :)
    celticreverie

Answer by celticreverie at 12:18 AM on Feb. 3, 2009

• Great, thank you going to go take a look...Be back to check on my post in awhile.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 12:19 AM on Feb. 3, 2009

• Looked over your website and journals,very informative,i also joined your group you have.
    Look forward to talking more during this journey into motherhood.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 12:33 AM on Feb. 3, 2009

• Thats good. there is a lot of info and options available for those who take the time to research it. Birth is normal is more active than my group, mine was created as sort of a spoof to BIN based on a conversation in there.. but we do love giving information. BIN can be pretty intense though, but it's a wonderful group for information!
    celticreverie

Answer by celticreverie at 1:01 AM on Feb. 3, 2009