The doctor put my 3 yr old dd on Albuterol

I am completely unfamiliar with this drug. The ER doc told me my dd has asthma and that is what she gave me. I am not liking this diagnosis! It scares me. I have heard nothing but horror stories and kids with asthma. She has allergies which I guess triggered the asthma. Or at least thats the way it was described to me., Does anyone have a their child with asthma and used albuterol, or actually its proventil. Are there any side effects I need to look out for?

Michigan-Mom74

Asked by Michigan-Mom74 at 4:23 PM on Jul. 22, 2012 in Kids' Health

• My daughter has been on proventil on and off since she was 4. It gives her dry mouth and sometimes the jitters. The best thing to do is see her regular doctor for a definitive diagnosis and treatment plan. She's 11 and her asthma flares up a few times a year.
    Izsarejman

Answer by Izsarejman at 4:42 PM on Jul. 22, 2012

• my brother has asthma idk if he ever used proventil tho? but they gave my dd albuterol when she had broncittis it helped her alot..i agree wit pp tho go to your ped and get a definitive diagnosis
    rachel216

Answer by rachel216 at 4:59 PM on Jul. 22, 2012

• My DD has been on Albuterol a number of times for chest colds, including pneumonia. It helps open up the air passageways. Are you using a nebulizer?

The only side effect we've noticed is it can cause a increased heart rate, which can make her jittery.
    anng.atlanta

Answer by anng.atlanta at 5:02 PM on Jul. 22, 2012

• I've had sports induced asthma for about 20 years now. Albuterol is the drug of choice the doctors give me when it starts getting bad again. I have not experienced any side effects other than the NASTY taste as I inhale/puff it.
    Rosehawk

Answer by Rosehawk at 5:05 PM on Jul. 22, 2012

• do you mean Flovent? My kid has been on and off albuterol a long time and it's a very safe drug. Flovent however, is a steroid I believe and you don't want to be on that forever. Rinse her mouth out after puffing her if it's flovent. My sons both have cold or allergy induced asthma. That said, they are growing out of it. Don't worry.
    jeanclaudia

Answer by jeanclaudia at 6:53 PM on Jul. 22, 2012

• Nebs or oral? My DD has been on the oral syrup a few times, it's not big deal.
    Anonymous

• I have been an asthmatic my ENTIRE life. Albuterol is the drug of choice to help get the current symptoms (wheezing and chest tightness) under control. Albuterol goes by many names and Proventil (yellow container with orange lid) is one of them. The only side effects I have ever experienced on this medication is an slight increase in heart rate with can cause jitters. Once you have been on this awhile it does get better and your body doesn't react as much. I do hope that they gave you an aerochamber or inspirease to help you administer this. If you don't have one then the child isn't getting enough of the medication b/c most of it is going into the air. Please follow up with your pediatrician and get a referral to a specialist. If you have any questions on any of this please PM me b/c I have been on every medication that is out there and I know what it is like to have to experiment until you find the right ones. GL!
    coala

Answer by coala at 8:13 PM on Jul. 22, 2012

• I don't have asthma but have been on it a few times it gave me cotton mouth(gross metallic taste afterwards),fast heartbeat, which made me feel like I wanted to jump out of my skin BUT it did make me feel better in the long run.
    liss05

Answer by liss05 at 8:37 PM on Jul. 22, 2012

• Coala...Ya she gave me a tube looking thing, and it only goes one way, and with that they gave me a mouth and nose cover that attaches to the tube. Then I puff once into the tube then attach the face mask that covers her nose and mouth and I wait until she inhales 10 times. She told me to count how many times her belly goes in.
    Michigan-Mom74

Comment by Michigan-Mom74 (original poster) at 11:42 PM on Jul. 22, 2012

• One of my daughters has had asthma since she was under 6 months old. She's 11 now and seems to have finally out grown in, which is the good news about childhood asthma, most out grow it. One off the wall side effect that I wish I'd known about that the other ladies didn't already mention is that when your mouth dries out your teeth become susceptible to cavities. It would be good to get in the habit of drinking a little something afterwards to help keep the mouth moist.

Lornamay

Answer by Lornamay at 4:39 AM on Aug. 30, 2012