Heathen word of the day

I'm going to guess people are a lot more familiar with Catholicism than Heathenry, so why not educate about every religion and not just one?

Today's word: oathbreaker

An oathbreaker is someone who swears allegiance to a family, deity, or other symbolic entity, and then violates the terms of that allegiance. Or, it's someone who pledges to do something, and then knowingly fails to do so.

Examples would be saying prayers or going through ceremonies to declare oneself a devotee of a religion, then repeatedly breaking the tenets of that religion, such as being hateful, spiteful, or catty after joining a faith which puts stress on loving one's fellow man. Or, pledging to make some sort of personal sacrifice or habit change, giving something up for a month, or ignoring something that bothers you, then turning around and continuing the habit in secret, or continuing to interact with whatever was supposed to be ignored.

In Heathenry, being an oathbreaker is the foulest thing a person can be. It surpasses murder and stealing. An oathbreaker is someone completely undeserving of respect or even common courtesy, and they, along with liars, are considered the only people who will not find peace in the afterlife. A murder or theft can be justified, while oathbreaking is a sign of a much deeper flaw within a person's very nature.

Breaking an oath is one of the most difficult crimes to recompense. There is no simple monetary value or act of kindness that will alleviate the chasm of mistrust it creates, not just with the people or thing to whom the oath was made, but to all the other people who witness the act.

NotPanicking

Asked by NotPanicking at 4:40 PM on Jul. 22, 2012 in Religion & Beliefs

• In my life I have known quite a few Oathbreakers. Very disheartening when you're on the receiving end.

I, personally, find it very hard to forget let alone forgive someone who have made "oaths" then to break them.
    PMSMom10

Answer by PMSMom10 at 5:36 PM on Jul. 22, 2012

• Oathbreaker is also the definition of Warlock in Old English... Great post NP
    Crafty26

Answer by Crafty26 at 6:18 PM on Jul. 22, 2012

• Very interesting, NP. It is not exclusive to heathenry, of course, but I did not realize that it is considered worse than murder or stealing.
    anng.atlanta

Answer by anng.atlanta at 4:54 PM on Jul. 22, 2012

• very interesting!
    okmanders

Answer by okmanders at 6:20 PM on Jul. 22, 2012

• A murder or theft can be justified, while oathbreaking is a sign of a much deeper flaw within a person's very nature.
    **************************************************************************************************
    I found this part very interesting.
    Thank you so much for sharing about something I don't know much about!
    sahmamax2

Answer by sahmamax2 at 9:14 PM on Jul. 22, 2012

• OMG! You're back!! We've missed you. I learned something new today and it wasn't about being catholic. Yay!!
    2autisticsmom

Answer by 2autisticsmom at 7:41 PM on Jul. 23, 2012

• Interesting... so let me ask you this, NP. This is obviously something to be taken very, very seriously. How often does such a thing occur? I would assume it's likely rare due to the severity of it.
    anime_mom619

Answer by anime_mom619 at 5:03 PM on Jul. 22, 2012

• That was very interesting.  Glad to have learned something new.  Thanks.

jsbenkert

Answer by jsbenkert at 7:13 PM on Jul. 22, 2012

• That is interesting ... I'm reading a fantasy series right now that uses "oathbreaker" in it. Thanks for posting.
    SpiritedWitch

Answer by SpiritedWitch at 7:20 PM on Jul. 22, 2012

• Very interesting...
    NP, where would suggest starting on the study of your path?
    Sekirei

Answer by Sekirei at 8:39 PM on Jul. 22, 2012