Anyone in the south?? dont know where to put this

i really would love to move down south like in mississippi or alabama just dwn in that general area i was wondering if any of the moms whom live that way can tell me some things they do and dont like about thier state! i would really love to get your thoughts on it before i up root my kids!! thanks ladies :)

rachel216

Asked by rachel216 at 5:05 PM on Jul. 22, 2012 in General Parenting

• I live in Alabama...its hot and very humid but southern hospitality is alive and well
    BeautyGuru

Answer by BeautyGuru at 5:09 PM on Jul. 22, 2012

• I have lived in NC OK and Texas.
    NC I was 1 hour from the beach or one hour from the mountains. Beautiful and the people were wonderful.
    Produce was not the best. Seafood was phenomenal It was rocky and hard to make beds to plant in. Almost no winter (that goes on both sides of the equasion)Water table too hogh to have a basement.

OK. Hot and great people. Beef was the best I had outside on Nebraska. Easier to grow vegies and fruit. High population of Native Americans. Corn especially tasty. Almost no seasons except Summer and oops there was winter.

Texas has some of the friendliest people I have ever know. They also have some of the strongest personalities I have ever encountered. Hot and some amazing country. Good soil but you have to shade the vegies or they cook on the vine. (some days) really good meat and vegies and fish. A lot of music festivals It seemed like every other week lol. The chang
    Dardenella

Answer by Dardenella at 5:17 PM on Jul. 22, 2012

• I don't know is Oklahoma south? I think so.. I don't think we'd be midwest.. I'll answer anyway lol.

Don't like: Weather. Period. We have extreme weather in every season. It seems like we're always having droughts, extreme heat, ice storms, tornadoes, or earthquakes. It's really windy, too.

Do like: A lot of nice places to live. Doesn't seem like there's alot of crime. Housing prices are cheap. We have jobs. Good schools (depending on where you live, of course). We don't really have any big cities (which I like, you may not). Not really any bad traffic. We have pretty landscape : "mountains", sand dunes, bat caves, beautiful lakes, mesas, etc. We have a unique history, explains the southern/midwestern thing lol.
    Hollyhock.

Answer by Hollyhock. at 5:19 PM on Jul. 22, 2012

• here's a few things to consider: Mississippi has the country's highest poverty rate (Alabama, #7) and the most overweight residents.
    Alabama's crime rate was at 3,894 per 100,000 people, as i just read in an article a few days old.
    dullscissors

Answer by dullscissors at 5:19 PM on Jul. 22, 2012

• I lived in AL. It had high taxes, poor schools so I left. They taxed food and medicine. That was too much for me. I moved to FL. It's still hot and humid. My kids are older now so the poor schools here don't matter anymore but might to you.

Answer by admckenzie at 5:30 PM on Jul. 22, 2012

• Terrible school systems all through the south. Poverty is high, and if you are not a Christian, you may find it very hard to blend in, especially outside of the bigger cities.

I've lived in GA and SC many years. The beaches are great and the winters are mild. The summer heat is awful tho.
    anng.atlanta

Answer by anng.atlanta at 5:31 PM on Jul. 22, 2012

• Where I live we actually have great schools, strong community, the schools are not only big in academics but sports as well.
    BeautyGuru

Answer by BeautyGuru at 5:32 PM on Jul. 22, 2012

• I've never been to Alabama or Mississippi, but my husband was in Mississippi for a few moths and he said it was unbearably humid and he's from FL! I wouldn't be able to live in that heat.

Mama2AmLi

Answer by Mama2AmLi at 5:38 PM on Jul. 22, 2012

• Here in the summer time when you walk outside its that kind of take your breath away heat.
    BeautyGuru

Answer by BeautyGuru at 5:44 PM on Jul. 22, 2012

• Oh, I forgot, we also have the OKC Thunder!! Woop woop! :) Also, I'm not super religious and I'm not a republican and I fit in just fine lol. Lots of diversity here :)
    Hollyhock.

Answer by Hollyhock. at 5:45 PM on Jul. 22, 2012