Question for parents who paid for braces

I have no insurance, but I have almost 2,000 saved that I could use as a downpayment for braces and usually braces are around4k so I think thats a good amt.. I have crappy credit and I know each dentist is different and I dont know if I would be allowed a payment plan. Can anyone help with any advice?

cmb121906

Asked by cmb121906 at 1:04 AM on Feb. 3, 2009 in Kids' Health

• If you are flexible about which dentist you want to use, why not look at Ameriplan.

You can save a lot of money on braces by using a plan dentist.

How much depends on where you are located.

Visit http://www.MyBenefitsPlus.com/rdoll and do a provider search.

That will let you know if there are providers in your area and give you an idea of how much you can save.

let me know if you have any questions.
    AussieMum2

Answer by AussieMum2 at 2:33 AM on Feb. 3, 2009

• a lot depends on the orthodontist. I know some make you pay in full mine I had to pay 1000 down and after my insurance paid their 1500 I ended up with 18 months of payments at 68 a month.
    pagirl71

Answer by pagirl71 at 9:11 AM on Feb. 3, 2009

• I'm in dental this is easy - Most orthodontists will put you on a payment plan. The more you put down as a down payment the smaller your monthly payments will be. You will make the same payment every month regardless of how many appointments you have for adjustments.
    Ameriplan is a discount dental plan. It is not an insurance. I am in south Florida and I have been in dental for more than 20 years. You can check into Ameriplan but it is very rare to find a dental specialist that takes it in my area.
    PrttyMstng

Answer by PrttyMstng at 9:16 AM on Feb. 3, 2009

• They do put you on a payment plan. Being that you have 2k already saved, thats great because it will make your monthly payments smaller. You might be able to do 18 or 24 mos instead of 30 or 36. My daughter just finished up 2 yrs of braces, but before that she had phase I and its been very expensive. The braces themselves ran about $5200 and our insurance classified it as preexisting and wouldn't touch it. I was SO irritated. So we paid $166 a mo until our last $700 and then we paid it off with our flex spend. I wasn't about to let anything happen to her pretty teeth so she had to have her wisdom teeth out last week too. Another $700. Good for you for saving up. They will let you finance the rest and I don't believe there will be any credit check. Good luck.
    momofsaee

Answer by momofsaee at 9:59 AM on Feb. 3, 2009