My daughter won't eat anything....

My daughter won't eat anything. her diet consiste of bread, cheese, pizza and milk. She is six and i am always putting foods on her plate and offering. I have begged, rewarded and even disaplined trying to get her to eat more foods. HELP what can I do to get her to try new foods?

Deidrespringer

Asked by Deidrespringer at 3:02 AM on Jul. 23, 2012 in General Parenting

• @frogdawg What is his disorder? How do I know if my daughter has that? She Has major problems with textures and sound. She has never been tested for anything like that. We had her in counseling and that helped a little with her eating. She started trying a few new things. I'm wondering if this isn't a control thing.
    I'm so sorry that I haven't responded to any of the questions since I posted waaaaaaay back. It's been a crazy, crazy year. Thank you all for your answers and I agree with each and every one of them. I don't make her special meals, what I make is what I make and she either eats it or doesn't... She does always get a olvaltin or a pedia sure at dinner for the extra vitamins and she gets a vitamin at bed time.
    Deidrespringer

Comment by Deidrespringer (original poster) at 10:38 AM on Oct. 16, 2013

• You may find that if you accommodate her (by building meals around at least one thing she likes/will eat, and refraining from ANY and ALL leveraging around this issue--truly leave the ball in her court & give up even disapproval/disappointment; just accept her autonomy & sovereignty around this), she will respond by becoming a bit more flexible as she's given the space/room to give up some of her counter-resistance. Once she sees that this is no longer a battle you are trying to win, she can back off from her defensive stance & begin to act. (Until now, it has been REaction, resistance of your agenda.)

I took this approach (of honoring my child's sovereignty, giving up control, working with her/being flexible) with my own child at age 6 & I am soooo grateful that I did. It really allowed her to self-correct, to regain some freedom & flexibility around the issue of food, to become someone I'd never describe as picky!
    girlwithC

Answer by girlwithC at 1:46 PM on Jul. 23, 2012

• I agree that "stop trying" (don't focus on the issue or struggle around it) is something to consider very seriously.
    This doesn't mean turn it into a silent battle, during which you only offer new foods, with no other options. But let go of trying to "make her" or trying to "get her to" eat things, or try things.
    What you can do is continue to offer her a variety of foods, what you are preparing for meals. You can let her know that you wish she would try things, you wish she'd be open to trying them & seeing. But acknowledge that whether she eats, what she eats (meaning, what she chooses from her plate), and how much she eats is up to her! You provide the options.
    I recommend you try to include foods she'll eat (or may be willing to try) in the meals you prepare. Try to avoid making it 100% challenging. Work with her!
    Is that list total? No fruit, applesauce, yogurt, cereal, pasta? Would she eat mac & cheese?
    girlwithC

Answer by girlwithC at 1:19 PM on Jul. 23, 2012

• I am very much of the philosophy the food on the table is whats for dinner.
    booklover545

Answer by booklover545 at 1:12 PM on Jul. 23, 2012

• Don't give her special foods or anything. No bribes, rewards, or even discipline. She will eat when she is hungry. My son is doing the same thing and I know he likes the foods I give him, but it isn't what he wants. I say, OH WELL kid. If you are hungry, you will eat. You won't get any special foods or snacks. If he is hungry between meals/snack times, I don't give him anything if he doesn't eat previously until the next snack/meal time comes.
    CalebsMommy0220

Answer by CalebsMommy0220 at 1:03 PM on Jul. 23, 2012

• My children would be pretty damn hungry if they were waiting around for pizza and cheese for every meal. I make what I make, I try to make meals my family likes, but if there is something they don't like on their plates, don't eat it, but I'm not going to limit our meal choices so far down that we're eating the same things every day.
    Mom-2-3-Girlz

Answer by Mom-2-3-Girlz at 10:47 AM on Jul. 23, 2012

• My niece was picky when she got to us at the age of 5 last fall. That was quickly changed b/c she went w/o dinner a few night b/c she didn't like what was her plate. She finally realized I don't cater to my children and you will eat what is given to you or you go hungry. Make some new rules and stand by them. I started doing that with my DD when she was 15 mos old. There is 1 food that I will not make my DD eat b/c it is the only food that she will go to bed hungry over and has done it about 15 times in 3 years. Good luck and remember YOU are the PARENT!
    coala

Answer by coala at 10:04 AM on Jul. 23, 2012

• My son is the same way. Was. He's improving with an occupational therapist who helps with his sensory processing disorder. We did what is called S.O.S. training. And yes we make special meals, make exceptions for him, and provide gentle support. Punishment makes it worse. Textures are difficult. He is getting better and I am so glad I knew the difference between normal picky eater and a true medical issue.
    frogdawg

Answer by frogdawg at 9:39 AM on Jul. 23, 2012

• My son's eating habits were that of a snake. He would eat a really big meal regardless of when and then pick at the next couple of meals until he was ready for a really big meal. I don't give him junk food. I have always given him healthy options. He would eat an apple or apple sauce, vegies and ranch dressing, and a slew of other choices.
    robinkane

Answer by robinkane at 6:53 AM on Jul. 23, 2012

• just give her new things and let her know that you are not making a separate meal for her. i only make a separate meal (or i just dont make foods they don't like often) if there is something hubby o i would really like to eat and i know my kids have tried it more than once and do not like it.
    MooNFaeRie30

Answer by MooNFaeRie30 at 6:02 AM on Jul. 23, 2012