Carpal Tunnel while pregnant.

So I had to go to the orthopedic Dr yesterday for my hand(I have a ganglion cyst on my wrist.) So I thought the cyst was causing irritation to my wrist and hand(Boy was I wrong). Come to find out I have carpal tunnel syndrome. He said that I have swelling in my hand that is restricting blood flow to my tendons in my wrist because I am retaining a lot of water. He said that it will go away once I have the baby. I told him that I don't sit at a computer all day. I'm a chef and I explained that to him and he told me that chefs get carpal tunnel too because of the jerking motions we use when we are cooking. He then told me that I now have to wear a brace until I give birth to minimize the discomfort and pain. I was wondering if any other moms have been diagnosed with CTS while they are/were pregnant?

Princessstar024

Asked by Princessstar024 at 1:27 AM on Feb. 3, 2009 in Pregnancy

• well... i was never diagnosed with it, but i know i had it during pregnancy. it's not all that uncommon. my hubby is an an anesthetist, he was talking to one of the ortho surgeons about my wrists, and he said that's prolly what it was. then he told him a story of a lady who INSISTED he operate on her CTS wrists while preggo (at something like 38weeks), he finally did, and she went into labor 4 hours after surgery. silly lady...
    abelsmama07

Answer by abelsmama07 at 1:49 AM on Feb. 3, 2009

• I had CTS. I got diagnosed at about 18 weeks. I already had it was the theory, but the pregnancy exacerbated it. I wore braces most of the time. While I slept, if I didn't my hands would go numb, then be really painful as the feeling came back.
    Mom1Stepmom1

Answer by Mom1Stepmom1 at 1:57 AM on Feb. 3, 2009