How can I get my memory back?

I had some horrible things happen to me as a child, and I have repressed a lot. I really want to remember so I can move on. (I have a lot of nightmares my DH tells me about, and some things ring a bell)
Anyone know of a good therapy to help me?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 2:41 AM on Feb. 3, 2009 in Relationships

• I think going to an actual therapist would be great for you. They will have more techniques and they will know what will work best for your particular situation. Its great that you're looking to get help instead of keeping it all bottled in.
    MamaChamp

Answer by MamaChamp at 2:46 AM on Feb. 3, 2009

• Good for you!!! I agree with MamaChamp, see a therapist.
    pnwmom

Answer by pnwmom at 2:58 AM on Feb. 3, 2009

• Have you considered hypnosis?

beeky

Answer by beeky at 7:21 AM on Feb. 3, 2009

• hypnosis can bring up a lot of stuff. Been there so done that.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 8:18 AM on Feb. 3, 2009

• If you have repressed these memories, and are otherwise functioning well, I would NOT try to "unlock" them! It could be a veritable Pandora's Box, and could leave your more traumatized than you are now.

Being able to repress horrible events is the mind's way of protecting you! Continue to live in the present and forget the past. Past events cannot be undone. The important thing to realize is whatever happened to you in the past, didn't break you. If anything, you are stronger and wiser as a result. Use that strength to live your life and fulfill all of your dreams! :o)
    LoriKeet

Answer by LoriKeet at 9:08 AM on Feb. 3, 2009

• From the sounds of it, you seem ready now to face your demons... seeking a therapist is a great step. Remember to stay strong though, these memories may be locked away for a reason, and you have to prepare for the worst. I can't really suggest a therapist for you for many reasons, don't know where you live, or have any info about the therapists around to give you any positive recommendations. However you can go through your yahoo yellow pages, and look some up.. call a few offices and find one you feel comfortable with.. looking for a therapist can be like finding an OB/GYN.. you need one that you feel save with, and confident in. It may take a few visits to a few of them to find one you like, but don't give up.. Good luck.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:47 AM on Feb. 3, 2009

• sorry hit the anon button on accident. that's me ^^^
    xxhazeldovexx

Answer by xxhazeldovexx at 10:48 AM on Feb. 3, 2009