How long is your school supply list?

I have 2 kids going into 'regular' school this year, my oldest to 3rd grade and my 2nd to Kindergarten (youngest is going to Head Start but won't need anything besides a backpack which he already has). The list I made up of EVERYTHING they need for school this year is sort of ridiculous! I've got 17 different things with about 2-5 of each thing! for example, 5 boxes of Kleenex, 12 Elmer's glue sticks (for the Kindergartener only!) and 2 packs of 4 Expo dry-erase markers, plus all the regular stuff like crayons and notebooks and scissors and backpacks! Last year we got their backpacks cheap on clearance at the end of the previous school year but they didn't last the whole year and fell apart around January/February so I kinda want to spend more on the backpacks this year and hope that they actually last :P Sigh... kids are too expensive, LOL.

DreainCO

Asked by DreainCO at 12:35 PM on Jul. 23, 2012 in

• we're giving public school a shot. private school list was A LOT longer. i am very happy indeed
    hibbingmom

Answer by hibbingmom at 12:37 PM on Jul. 23, 2012

• really short. I already bought a supply kit for the next school year for each child. They come with everything and I don't have to hassle with shopping. They will need new lunchboxes and backpacks and that's pretty much it.
    QuinnMae

Answer by QuinnMae at 12:39 PM on Jul. 23, 2012

• Not that long, just your basic stuff.
    Mama2AmLi

Answer by Mama2AmLi at 12:42 PM on Jul. 23, 2012

• Ours isn't too bad...

Crafty26

Answer by Crafty26 at 12:50 PM on Jul. 23, 2012

• One page but then part of it is supplies for the school. Hand Sanitizer, Kleenix, Copy paper, pencils
    booklover545

Answer by booklover545 at 1:08 PM on Jul. 23, 2012

• DDs going into Pre-K and are list is pretty normal. not a lot of things. coffee filters are the only "huh?!" item on my list, but i think thats for art projects or snacks or something. and the girls bring some classroom supplies while the boys bring something else...i kinda like how they split it up so we dont have to buy both.
    okmanders

Answer by okmanders at 1:35 PM on Jul. 23, 2012

• I don't know yet. We don't get them until Aug. 6th.
    CometGirl

Answer by CometGirl at 2:42 PM on Jul. 23, 2012

• Our district redid supply lists 2 yrs ago after 1000 parents showed up at a board meeting to complain. When a school list asks for 2 reams of card stock yet the whole yr goes by and you never once see something come home or in the class on card stock..there is a problem. Lists are pared way down and much more reasonable now. School supplies for a 3rd and 4th grader for the fall, not including lunch boxes but include new backpacks was $140. Backpacks were $70 of that though. They are at the age that BPs have to be heavy duty or they won't last until Christmas. I won't complain considering the same kids 3 yrs ago cost 200bucks minus backpacks and lunchboxes, in school supplies alone.

GrnEyedGrandma

Answer by GrnEyedGrandma at 2:47 PM on Jul. 23, 2012

• 3 packs #2 pre-sharpened yellow pencils
    3 pocket/prong Folders (blue, yellow, orange) These plain colors only please.
    1 Bottle white school glue
    1 Composition notebook (Primary Journal)
    1 Composition notebook (regular wide ruled)
    2 Reams of copy paper
    4 Boxes of 24 count Crayola crayons
    1 Washable Crayola Markers – Classic Color
    5 Glue sticks
    1 pair Fiskars scissors
    3 Rolls paper towels
    2 Bottles Antibacterial liquid soap
    1 Bottle of hand sanitizer
    1 Box of 13 gallon trash bags
    1 Box Kleenex
    1 Can Lysol Spray
    1 Container Clorox Wipes
    1 baby wipes
    1 headphones for Computer

$50.00 Classroom Donation
    $4.50 Technology Donation for the library

Check with your child’s teacher about additional supplies
    josiesmommy00

Answer by josiesmommy00 at 3:14 PM on Jul. 23, 2012

• Jeez Josiesmommy, they want all that AND a $50 classroom donation?! That is ridiculous and would NOT go over well in our district! soap, trash bags, lysol, baby wipes?! all that stuff does not seem like a NEED for classroom learning to me.
    DreainCO

Comment by DreainCO (original poster) at 5:17 PM on Jul. 23, 2012