Faith in practice

It's always entertaining that any time someone asks a generic "what religion are you question", eventually, certain people will have their answer downvoted. Usually, these people are non-Abrahamic. This implies that whoever is doing this downvoting is likely a follower of an Abrahamic religion.

So here's the question - wouldn't the act of committing a petty anonymous attack on someone (anonymous in the sense that a name is not attached, not anonymous to the person doing it or their deity of choice) be a direct contradiction to the teachings of those faiths? In clicking that button, isn't it really more a declaration that the person doing it is a bad practitioner of their faith than any kind of statement about the person they're singling out?

To clarify for the resident pedants: this is not about the downvotes, it's about the intentions of those who follow non-Abrahamics around the site in context of their own faith.

NotPanicking

Asked by NotPanicking at 3:45 PM on Jul. 23, 2012 in Religious Debate

• I agree with you. PLUS It is also dumb and a waste of time.
    Pucki

Answer by Pucki at 3:49 PM on Jul. 23, 2012

• lol I bet I get a downvote in a minute. Go on then, I can take it!

laughing

Pucki

Answer by Pucki at 3:50 PM on Jul. 23, 2012

• Lots of people get dv for other reasons. Last time I checked that question there weren't many Abrahamic religions listed to compare dv to. In the past I've seen the dv work both ways.
    RyansMom001

Answer by RyansMom001 at 3:53 PM on Jul. 23, 2012

• Seems if you answer with any belief,they're ok with it
    Say your Atheist, all hell breaks loose
    I don't worry about others' paths,just my own
    A faceless DV will not change people's lack of belief,so why bother?

Answer by butterflyblue19 at 3:54 PM on Jul. 23, 2012

• i just had 3-4 DVs in the same post..presumably by the OP who called her kid an asshole...am i to assume she is non-Abr or is she Abr?
    perhaps she just dv'd me because i didn't kiss her kidhole and pat her on the back, like some others did. maybe she just doesn't like my sn. either way, there's no way to know her 'intentions'..one can only kidsume.
    faith in practice...idk what her faith is, so can't know if/how she is practicing.
    *shrugs*
    in the thread you mention, there were several non-Abr's who responded..only two were dv'd by whomever...so that says to me the dv'r doesn't care about practicing their supposed-Abr faith, but perhaps does only dv those two responders.
    just my thoughts.
    dullscissors

Answer by dullscissors at 3:56 PM on Jul. 23, 2012

• A faceless DV will not change people's lack of belief,so why bother?

Excactly - why bother - or rather, how does bothering fit into the tenets of the religion of the person doing it?
    NotPanicking

Comment by NotPanicking (original poster) at 3:56 PM on Jul. 23, 2012

Um, you haven't even answered the post I'm referring to, so how could you have 3-4 dv's in it?
    NotPanicking

Comment by NotPanicking (original poster) at 3:57 PM on Jul. 23, 2012

• *by 'same post', i mean the dv's occurred in the same post, not the one you mentioned, though.
    dullscissors

Answer by dullscissors at 3:57 PM on Jul. 23, 2012

• I just checked that question and there are very few dv. Many non-Abrahamic beliefs have many positive votes with no dv. DV has gone both ways.
    RyansMom001

Answer by RyansMom001 at 3:58 PM on Jul. 23, 2012

• I agree with you. I rarely DV people. Mostly b/c it's stupid and b/c we all are here to voice our opinions. I can disagree and still be true to myself without trying to show someone else how "wrong" they are. Whether through something as simple as DV or more.
    I think the motivation behind the action absolutely speaks volumes.
    sahmamax2

Answer by sahmamax2 at 3:58 PM on Jul. 23, 2012