humidifiers

The doctor told me to buy a humidifier for my daughters allergies. I don't know anything about them. I picked a warm humidifier because if she's having cold like symptoms i assumed you'd want the warm air. I asked the pharmacist and she said that the cold air is the one i want. I bought it but it doesn't make a lot of sense to me. I put it in her room for a couple of hours before she went to bed but it made the room really cold so i tried to offset it with a little heater but ended up just turning it off. I read the directions but it didn't say how long to leave it on.

What do you think? Warm or cool air? How long do you leave it on?

kinzleysmommy

Asked by kinzleysmommy at 5:39 AM on Feb. 3, 2009 in Health

• My pediatrician always says cool mist humidifier. My son has been battling allergies since he was a tiny baby and the cool mist humidfier always helped. I know that it makes the room cooler but it really does help. Just dress him warmer when you are using it. It really does help with congestion either in the head or chest. I bet it knocked two days off his sick time. Which to me is a lot when a baby is sick. And keep it on low if you have that option.

As far as the warm ones go. If you have bad chest congestion, DON'T use warm air. Your chest is already inflamed and the warm air makes it worse. That's what it did to my son anyway. I bought one once and used it one night. The next day we had to go to the emer room for a breathing treatment. Good luck
    GMR

Answer by GMR at 11:40 AM on Feb. 3, 2009

• Cool air helped me when I was a kid. I was slways sick.
    KARRIEMARIE

Answer by KARRIEMARIE at 6:04 AM on Feb. 3, 2009

• either one is okay. However a warm mist one will require you to keep up with it's cleaning more so than a cool. Also a warm air one can cause burns.
    pagirl71

Answer by pagirl71 at 9:16 AM on Feb. 3, 2009