• In the Spotlight:

How do you talk to your children about going through puberty?

I have a 9 year old son and a 10 year old daughter and I kinda want them both to know about this, my son not so much in detail about his sister, but I'm not sure how to explain it in a gentle yet understanding way. Does anyone know of any helpful websites to use? Thanks

jonandrenay

Asked by jonandrenay at 6:53 AM on Feb. 3, 2009 in Tweens (9-12)

• Books go a long way to talk about things. For my DD we got the book called the care and keeping of you  by American Girl.  And for my DS we got a book...though I can't remember where it is right now to look at the title...it was designed more for boys.  I pretty much talk about things as they come up.  Like my DD knew about periods b/c she was always in the bathroom with me..then one day she asked so I briefly told her about it.  I think she was 6??  I got the book for her 10th bday and we read through it.  My DS was in 5tth grade but my hubby found a good book on Amazon.com that worked pretty well...(sorry I wish I could remember).

mykidzmom-1

Answer by mykidzmom-1 at 8:19 AM on Feb. 3, 2009

• I don't know about any web sites, but dont waist any time, in my opinion, they are PLENTY old enough to know these things...
    Teejay602

Answer by Teejay602 at 10:08 AM on Feb. 3, 2009

• I've been talking to my now 12 yr old son and 11 yr old dd age appropriately since they were 8 or 9. And telling them a little more at here and there. And letting them know I'm here if they have questions.
    binkmom3

Answer by binkmom3 at 11:17 PM on Feb. 25, 2009