• In the Spotlight:

Did you see this?

http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,485504,00.html

HayleyGM

Asked by HayleyGM at 7:42 AM on Feb. 3, 2009 in Kids' Health

• lots of school systems are trying this now. In my kids school they won't let you bring in cup cakes but the problem is they claim it is to be healthy when really they are serving greasy crap in the cafeteria (greasy hot dogs deep fried chicken nuggets) and they have actually cut back on the salad bar and fruit bar. So my school district is just trying to be cheap and is still providing "bad" food. I think in order for it to work it has to be an all out effort. so needless to say we haven't seen an improvement here. Actually the kids are complaining more about how skimpy the salad and fruit bars are and how greasy the food is than not being able to have cup cakes.

babyfat5

Answer by babyfat5 at 8:02 AM on Feb. 3, 2009

• Yeah and I wish teachers and principles focused on teaching not raising kids. Thats our job.

Answer by gemgem at 8:05 AM on Feb. 3, 2009

• I think she is doing a good thing. If the children can learn better and focus better because their brains and bodies aren't overloaded with sugar then I think its great. Its more expensive to eat healthy can bad. I don't know all the details but if she is taking out all sugar then she should be taking out fried greasy stuff too because most of that turns to sugar in the body....
    Another thing that needs to be removed are the food colorings....its been proen that some colors used in foods are more harmful than the sugar.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 8:10 AM on Feb. 3, 2009

• No they dont need to worry about this stuff because it is their job to teach. They serve crap in the school cafeteria even if they say it doesnt have sugar most does. Almost everything we eat turns into sugar of some kind. As for food coloring, nah against that too. They need to use the money given to them by the govt to teach. Most of them dont even have good teachers or old books etc. Id rather see money spent to revamp our education system then get a note home saying your child isnt getting sugar at school (as my child eats a brownie I made). Its foolish, but again one more example of why I homeschool.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 8:15 AM on Feb. 3, 2009

• we're in South Carolina that by the way made it on the top ten of the fattest states. Now luckily my kids are active and eat healthy and are not heavy. But the middle school here serves french fries with every meal. Yep even on spagetti day they get fries. How the heck is that healthy? We came here from New Jersey and the ala cart line sold french fries but my daughter said in order to get them you 1. had to buy something healhty and 2. the fries themselves cost more than everything else on the menu. And if you wer caught just eatting fries they entered your name into a computer and it forbid the school from allowing you to buy them. They also rteplaced all the junk in the vending machines with 100 calorie packs and soda with water and juice. Also they only allowed one daqy a month where cupcakes and stuff could be brought in.
    pagirl71

Answer by pagirl71 at 9:23 AM on Feb. 3, 2009

• I think it's too much "big brother" getting involved
    Zakysmommy

Answer by Zakysmommy at 9:25 AM on Feb. 3, 2009