Hiding emotions from your children.

I am trying to stay strong for my daughter during me and my hubby's seperation. It is like when I want to cry she is around and I dont want to cry infront of her. I am trying to be strong for her... she disserves a strong, stable, and sane mother. I have not cried yet at all... and I dont know why?

Arielsmommy507

Asked by Arielsmommy507 at 7:44 AM on Feb. 3, 2009 in Toddlers (1-2)

• just becuz you cry does not make you weak or insane. i think it would be healthier for both of you to let her know you are human and feel bad sometimes. you hiding your emotions from her is just going to teach her that hiding your emotions is the right thing to do and that is how she will be when she grows up. and keeping it all bottled up is going to make you crazy your goin to end up breakin big time and that is what you don't want to do in front of her. let it out just tell her mommy is sad right now
    jodi205

Answer by jodi205 at 7:47 AM on Feb. 3, 2009

• you cant hide emotions from your child. Its just not possible. At least not with my DD. She feels it when i dont feel good. When im sad she is sad too. I pretend to be strong, but inside of me there are all those emotions. Im not able to hide it.

But that doesnt make you a bad person, nor a bad or weak mother. Showing emotions means you are a kind and loving person. Raise your child with the knowledge of how important emotions and feelings are. the good and the bad feelings.
    m.robertson811

Answer by m.robertson811 at 7:51 AM on Feb. 3, 2009

• don't hide it. Teach her is is healthy to show and release emotion so she in turn doesn't bottle it up. If you are crying and she asks why- tell her "I am sad because...." It really is a good thing.
    ZaTa

Answer by ZaTa at 8:51 AM on Feb. 3, 2009

• I agree with ZaTa
    Teejay602

Answer by Teejay602 at 10:00 AM on Feb. 3, 2009

• Sorry but sometimes i cry in front of my children, things can get tough and you just break down. Just hold her and let it out
    camtri3

Answer by camtri3 at 10:40 AM on Feb. 3, 2009

• For me, I don't think showing emotions in front of your child is necessarily bad, but it depends on how much and how often. If you're crying for hours a day in front of her, then that's not helping her feel secure. But crying for a little bit and letting her know that you're sad can help her develop empathy towards others.

My friends has a family member who has been literally breaking down in front of her 4 children daily over one child's illness (not life-threatening) and the kids are too young and too immature to handle such outburts.
    mommytoadam

Answer by mommytoadam at 10:46 AM on Feb. 3, 2009

• I agree that you shouldnt hide your emotions...it could only lead to you bottling it up and potentially releasing it in anger towards your kid instead...

Just share - I think its a good thing.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:52 AM on Feb. 3, 2009