What would you do?

If you were walking down the street on a warm day and saw a sleeping baby in a locked car, no parent in sight?

(from the show What would you do?. Of 200 people that saw over the course of 2 days, only 20 stopped to do something.)

Also, let me add that it was NOT a real child in the car.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 7:52 AM on Feb. 3, 2009 in Politics & Current Events

• Call 911, break window, save baby, smack parents on the back of the head and hope they get a hefty fine + jail time.....
    Wimsey

Answer by Wimsey at 9:08 AM on Feb. 3, 2009

• I would have called police for sure. I can't believe people are so selfish they didn't stop. Its the same thing as when that man got hit by the car and people didn't want to get involved so they just kept going and just ignored it or just stood there and did nothing. People are mean.
    HayleyGM

Answer by HayleyGM at 7:54 AM on Feb. 3, 2009

• I'd break a window! If it's a warm day, that car could be sweltering. No time to wait for the police to get there - I'd get the baby out myself!! Broken window and pissed parent vs. dead baby?

Hmmm.
    DusterMommy

Answer by DusterMommy at 7:58 AM on Feb. 3, 2009

• Id stop and look in to see if the child was alright or making noise and look around the see if I found its mom. If not I would call 911.

Answer by gemgem at 8:03 AM on Feb. 3, 2009

• I would call 911. If I saw it. Did all the people see the baby? I don't always make a habit of looking into other people's cars.

A good friend of mine used to work at a local grocery store. She saw people leaving their babies in the care ALL the time. This was in the 90's when I guess people still thought that this was okay. She said she had to call the police a couple times a month because of babies left in cars! And this was in a fairly affluent town where people were mostly highly educated.
    beckcorc

Answer by beckcorc at 8:29 AM on Feb. 3, 2009

• First I would wait and look to see if a parent just ran into pay for something quick but I would wait by the car. If in a few min no parent I'd call 911. Also with this study if the baby wasn't real it could be possible that only 20 people stopped out of 200 because the other's noticed the baby wasn't real.

babyfat5

Answer by babyfat5 at 8:30 AM on Feb. 3, 2009

• I would and have called the police. I stopped at the grocery store one time and there was a baby asleep in the car, it was 90 degrees out so I could only imagine what it was inside the car. The mom came out and was pissed off saying she only ran in real quick so it wasn't a big deal.
    sammiesmom2000

Answer by sammiesmom2000 at 8:36 AM on Feb. 3, 2009

• I would look around and make sure the mom just didn't go and put the cart back or did something that was close to the baby. (After noticing if the baby was still acting normal) And then if the mom didn't come i'd call the police and if the baby looked like it was struggling I too would probably break the window. If the mom (or dad) came out at that point before the police got there I wouldn't let them leave or I'd get the license plate so they couldn't get away with it.
    krazyash023

Answer by krazyash023 at 8:45 AM on Feb. 3, 2009

• I am pretty sure the baby was extremely life like. It moved and everything. It wasn't a Patty Play Pal or anything like that.
    beckcorc

Answer by beckcorc at 8:49 AM on Feb. 3, 2009

• Yeah, the baby was EXTREMELY life like. It wasn't moving, but it looked like a sleeping newborn. I think with the study, they didn't count the people that walked by completely obliviously. Just the people that looked at the car, did double takes, paused, and the kept walking.

Yeah, frogdawg, I'd call the police to tell them I was breaking the window before I did it. Cover my bases.
    DusterMommy

Answer by DusterMommy at 8:54 AM on Feb. 3, 2009