my granddaughter is having trouble pooping on the potty. she holds it and then will ask for a pull up and go in the pull up in another room. "We have tried telling her that we have run out of pull ups and she will hold it until we give her prune juice. The latest is that we have her go in the bathroom with pull up or sit on the potty with it. We need some ideas on how to get to the next step.

What would be the next step?

mema1952276

Asked by mema1952276 at 8:44 AM on Feb. 3, 2009 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• That is ok as long as she understand s that the poop has to go on something easy for you to clean up.

Try letting her see you sit on the toilet, not nessecerly you using it just sit on it and maybe like that she will understand the concept of it. Do this every so often.

If this doesn't work then all you can do is give it time and patients. GL

She will eventually get it.

Butterfly1108

Answer by Butterfly1108 at 8:58 AM on Feb. 3, 2009

• Don't buy anymore pull-ups. If she is capable of asking for and going in the pull-up, then it is time that she start going on the toilet. She has an anxiety of the toilet for pooping, that would be my guess. But the only way to get her over it is to stop giving her the pull-ups. It's good that you're having her go to the bathroom...she needs to actually sit on the toilet in the pull-up. Once she been doing that for a couple of days, get rid of the pull-ups. If you don't have them, you cannot give in to her. So she cannot just with hold it, make it a habit to give her prune juice or whatever it is that makes her go. Give it to her everyday so that she cannot with hold. You don't want her with holding and then getting a fecal impaction. I've dealt with that 3 times with my 2 year old and it's not fun. Good luck.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 8:59 AM on Feb. 3, 2009

• is she using a potty chair? If so is her butt too big? lol I know that sounds funny but when my son was potty training he went a whole day before I realized his butt was too big and wasnt able to go. as soon as I set him on the big potty nature took care of the rest. Good luck I hope this helps
    MELSCREW

Answer by MELSCREW at 11:34 AM on Feb. 3, 2009

• TAKE AWAY THE PULL UPS, they just delay the process, the best thing is to let her run around naked from the waste down so that there is nothing to catch it, they will poop on the floor and be horrified, you do have to stay at home for about a week to 5 days depending oh how fast they catch on. a little constipation (like only pooping every 3-4 days) is common during this phase because they realize they can control it and deside to not go.... until sometimes you get an explosion! lol... all normal stuff... try it .. the method works... i can also recommend a wonderful carpet cleaner if you want :)
    AmaliaD

Answer by AmaliaD at 11:42 AM on Feb. 3, 2009

• I agree with the others lose the pull ups If she still needs them for bed time try getting the good nights pants and telling her they are "night time only panties" If she asks for a pull up put her on the toliet and make her stay for a bit M 2 year old will sit there for 10 min sometimes before she poos If I can't find her in her room I know to look in the bathroom she is just like her daddy LOL. also try getting some kind of treat for when she poos in the pot whatever works for her for my little one it was marshmallows. If she uses a potty chair try the big potty or if she uses the big potty try a potty chair Again whatever works best for her
    LCWAmommy

Answer by LCWAmommy at 12:13 PM on Feb. 3, 2009

• My son was the same way. He was potty trained except it took him about 5 months to go poop on the potty. We showed him that everyone else poops on the potty, and he was a big boy. I took the pull ups and put them in the top of my closet b/c I didn't want to throw them away. We all made a big deal over him going poop in the potty. Now a yr later he still likes to take his books in the bathroom to read when he goes poop. GL.
    jombmomi

Answer by jombmomi at 3:25 PM on Feb. 3, 2009

• Buy the book Everyone Poops and put it by the potty. If the child normally poops in the morning, sit there for a while and read books, especially this one.

Have you thought about cloth training pants? they are a bit thicker than underware. They will feel the poop a bit more.

Be very careful of the constipation. We had this same issue and our daughter at 4 is very distended from early holding and is now on a daily laxative, trying to get her nerves to grow back toward her colon wall.
    lynnard

Answer by lynnard at 5:51 PM on Feb. 3, 2009

• Ditch the pull-ups! Let her pick out some big girl panties.
    Anonymous

• I agree. Get ride of every pull up so that you can't give in to her asking for one. I had a child in my class look at me and tell me that she didn't have to go to the potty because she had a diaper on. This was after we talked about her "BIG GIRL" pants she had on (pull up). They see them as fancy diapers. As long as you give her the pull up, the longer she will continue to hang onto it. Make sure that when she sits on the potty that she has something under her feet so they don't dangle down. Use a block or stool. Give her something to look at while she is sitting. Good Luck!
    LovetoTeach247

Answer by LovetoTeach247 at 7:22 AM on Feb. 4, 2009

• taking the pull ups away only work if you take them away and then they decide to start using the potty (my son did this) but we did that when my daughter was 2.5 and she would take off her clothes, find a blanket or something, poop on it, wad it up, and throw it away. All that, and she REFUSED to sit on the potty. We tried stickers, prizes, nothing worked. She eventually started sitting on the potty in her pull ups, then sitting on the potty in panties, then sitting on the potty with nothing on. i have a friend's daughter and a neice who were the same way. All either thought it was gross or 'didn't want to see it come out'. Give her time and it will happen.
    pat7879

Answer by pat7879 at 10:50 PM on Feb. 4, 2009