How to deal with this?

I just dropped off my kids at school (5 and 7) my daughter threw a fit just bc she found out her brother will be staying after school today and freaked out she has always had him by her side. They call their name out and ask to meet at the blue box after school ( they r car riders) well she knows she will be alone I told her she will be fine I will pick her up as usual but she did not want to listen and cried and cried I was getting so upset with her I have already talked and talked so all of a sudden I yelled at her :( I did not want to do that...but enough is enough already.
Now I feel bad and guilty :( I am sure she is ok but just the thought of me doing that to her I don't know what came over me, but the bad thing about it she got quiet and went to school....why all this drama.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 8:53 AM on Feb. 3, 2009 in School-Age Kids (5-8)

• I'd just tell her you're sorry you yelled at her, but that she needs to realize that you are not going put her in a situation where she would be in danger so she needs to trust you when you say she will be fine. My boys are 5 & 7, too, and they are the same way, they meet at the car rider's spot and they hold hands while they walk to the car. My youngest is always the first one there, and he freaks if his brother isn't there within about 30 seconds. The only other thing I can suggest would be to give her more advance notice if brother has to stay after again, maybe that will calm her down.
    tropicalmama

Answer by tropicalmama at 9:02 AM on Feb. 3, 2009

• Don't worry, it sounds like you tried all the psychological calming first, and it's natural that you got a little upset and yelled eventually. My daughters are now 21,22,and 23 - drama was the main word in my house for years!!!! (it does get better when they go to college! hahah) A couple of my girls were VERY anxious about everything new, and like you, I talked myself blue in the face, then finally asked teachers and a counselor how to best handle it, and the response was to act kind, but to ack matter -of-fact about the change, so they would see that YOU weren't concerned about it being a scary situaltion. It also implies that you know she can do it. That was our key phrase, "You can do it, you're a champ!" They went through the new thing (often sniffling) and got a little stronger each time we made them. We celebrated each event afterward so they'd remember it next time!
    pennycast

Answer by pennycast at 7:38 AM on Feb. 6, 2009