Why do so many people dislike Valentine's Day?

I have heard several woman here on Cafemom say that they don't like it or refuse to celebrate Valentine's Day. I have heard some people say it is just a ploy for Hallmark to sell more cards. While others say they don't need a set day to celebrate their love for each other. I love Valentine's Day, of course, I am a holiday freak though. My husband and I don't just celebrate our love one day a year, but it is still fun to celebrate Valentine's Day together. I don't just celebrate Valentine's Day with hubby either, I celebrate it with my whole family. My son and I take a flower and chocolates to each of the female family members along. It is something he has looked forward too each year now. So, do you celebrate Valentine's day? Why or Why not?

JeremysMom

Asked by JeremysMom at 9:09 AM on Feb. 3, 2009 in Holidays

• When I was growing up, I HATED Valentine's Day, because the kids in school used it as a special day to attack me more than usual. Valentine's Day was usually when they played the cruelest pranks.
    Now that I've got my Husband, it's not so bad. He takes care to make it a special day. He met some of the people I knew in HS, and learned some of the stuff they did to me, and has gone out of his way to change my perception of the day. He's doing a good job of it, too, because I enjoy Valentine's Day now.
    debra_benge

Answer by debra_benge at 11:30 AM on Feb. 3, 2009

• Yes I love to celebrate no matter what, We do the same thing celebrate often especially on Valentine's Dayin love

Butterfly1108

Answer by Butterfly1108 at 9:13 AM on Feb. 3, 2009

• I don't hate it. I even agree that it is a manufactured holiday to sell cards and flowers, but I still like to celebrate it because it makes me focus on those I love. Sure you should focus on them all the time, but just as I like Thanksgiving day because it is a day to focus on giving thanks, and mothers day because it is a special day for Mom, and so on, it is nice to have a day where I give cards or candy to people I care about. Yes I can and do give stuff to people I care about all during the year, but it is kind of fun to also have a special day for it.

Answer by Bmat at 9:16 AM on Feb. 3, 2009

• I don't like what has become of any of the holidays. People expect gifts and expectations can be too high. However, I do enjoy making the people I care about and the teachers of my kids happy with trinkets of appreciation.

When I was married/dating, I hate Valentine's day. I felt obligated to celebrate something when I didn't feel like it. I'd rather have a surprise date than a planned day.
    super_mommy4

Answer by super_mommy4 at 9:17 AM on Feb. 3, 2009

• I hated Valentines parties at school as well when I was little. I got picked on a lot and kids can be so cruel. But it didn't make me hate Valentines day. It's just how you choose to look at it. It's a special day to tell, show, your loved one that you love them. I agree that it has become commercialized, but if you don't feed into that then you can just celebrate it they way you want. If you think negatively about something all the time you are gonna believe it's a bad thing. Be positive! Be happy!
    GMR

Answer by GMR at 1:07 PM on Feb. 3, 2009

• I could care less for it either way. I get my FH a card and give my son some conversation hearts or something, give baby and extra kiss and that's about it. I don't make a day out of it or anything.
    JenO1818

Answer by JenO1818 at 1:51 PM on Feb. 3, 2009

• I don't hate it but we don't bother with the Holiday. We love each other everyday and have hot steamy sex nightly. We don't need a special day for that. I feel sorry for those who only get flowers and only hear I love you on Valentines Day. Many of my friends are in that boat.
    Anonymous

• I use to feel the same way! only cuz i was bitter lol..i guess i felt left out so never celcbrated..I got my divorce on V day..but after my daughter was born..she became my valentine! and now i love it..then igot re married, and we celebrate it..to eacho hi own but thats why i use to hate it! i dont anymore :) its fun for me and my baby girl. I spoil her with stuffed animals
    Eveshalloween

Answer by Eveshalloween at 12:33 AM on Feb. 4, 2009

• I think Valentines day is only a way to separate Single people from their self esteem and couples from their money

trevsrockinmom

Answer by trevsrockinmom at 3:33 AM on Feb. 4, 2009

• I don't hate it and I buy my husband & the kids a card and maybe a little something else, but I don't really care to go all out and celebrate it like Christmas or something. I really don't know what we'd do different that we don't do every other day of the year...since we're still like newlyweds anyway :-P

We're not getting babysitters for the kids either, so I told them I'd make them heart pancakes and maybe cook a nice dinner that night. Other than that, it isn't a huge deal.
    smizzell

Answer by smizzell at 8:43 AM on Feb. 4, 2009