If I have 2 cats will they get along with a third? Should I keep two cats that bite sometimes?

I have 2 cats we got from a shelter about 6 months ago. They are nice to look at but not cuddly or friendly for that matter at all. They will lay near me sometimes but really don't like to be petted and will actually bite (drawing blood) if you pet them and they don't want to be petted and without warning. I worry because my 5 year old has been bit a few times and not his fault- he knows to be very gentle but these two cats are just not nice. I am torn between taking the cats back to the shelter or keeping them. I want to get a young cat or kitten that will hopefully be more cuddly and friendly that my son can have sleep with him sometimes and cuddle with a little bit. Right now he is learning that cats are mean and bite a lot.... If I keep the two we have will they most likely accept a third?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 12:34 PM on Jul. 24, 2012 in Pets

• They might, they might not. I have two cats that I got from a shelter. They were about 3 when I got them and had spent all by 6 months of their lives in shelters. They were a MESS when I brought them home. The one cat is STILL skittish and nervous around new people and they've been with me for about 3 years now.

18 months ago, when we moved into our apartment, we inherited a third cat. NOW all three cats get along fairly well, but the older two do sometimes gang up on the newest one.

At this time, I would NOT get another cat until you can get the two you have settled and calmed down. It really sounds like your two cats are nervous and scared about something.
    Rosehawk

Answer by Rosehawk at 12:45 PM on Jul. 24, 2012

• in similar boat. our cat is horrible, bites. deemed vicious because he's bitten so many vet techs. they wont even WEIGH HIM without a sedative first.

he must remain separated from our kids (6 and 7 1/2) which limits his quality of life. it's a horrible spot to be in because even a no kill shelter might off him if he is truly un-adoptable because they dont want him to spend his whole life in a cage or be at high risk for abuse
    hibbingmom

Answer by hibbingmom at 12:46 PM on Jul. 24, 2012

• I would give them more time to adjust to being in a home. It's scary for a cat who didn't grow up being socialized, to be thrust into a family life. They really just don't know what's going on. I would hold off on adding a 3rd cat.

When we adopted our cat, she was 6 weeks old and was tame, but it still took her a few months to warm up and adjust to living indoors. She's still not a cuddly cat unless it's completely on her terms, but that's a cat for you. Not all of them want to be cuddly... doesn't mean they're not good pets.
    Ginger0104

Answer by Ginger0104 at 1:05 PM on Jul. 24, 2012

• Get rid of the cats now. If they are biting a child when they are not provoked they have no place being around a five year old. What if one of his friends came over and got bit? I would not even consider another animal until those 2 are gone. They will teach the new one bad habits then you have three to get rid. These are not pets!!! They are MEAN animals.
    jcf523

Answer by jcf523 at 1:21 PM on Jul. 24, 2012