Backwards schedule

what's your take on a parent having their child up all night and sleeping during the day? sure it's non traditional but do you consider it neglectful or bad?

hibbingmom

Asked by hibbingmom at 2:27 PM on Jul. 24, 2012 in Parenting Debate

• It depends on the child and the actual schedule. If they aren't in school I don't really see a problem with it. Unless they need to sleep at night because that is what their cycle requires. I think the amount of sleep is more important than the times the sleep is gotten.
    kmath

Answer by kmath at 2:29 PM on Jul. 24, 2012

• Considering school and other socal events for children are during the day time , yes I feel it is neglectful and passively abusive
    Dardenella

Answer by Dardenella at 2:31 PM on Jul. 24, 2012

• It depends. When my oldest was a baby, my DH worked graveyard shifts. It was common to be up til 1 in the morning because that was his schedule. We did all of our shopping and such around that time. He was young enough it didn't matter. With older children, I don't feel its healthy especially if the schedule is completely reversed and the child is awake til 6 am when the sun comes up. The best rest happens when its dark.
    Ginger0104

Answer by Ginger0104 at 2:36 PM on Jul. 24, 2012

• Ditto Ginger, when our oldest was very young she stayed up late (till 11 or midnight usually) with dh and then they both slept in until almost noon the next day when I came home from school/work :P it kinda sucked for me but it was okay for her at the time because she was still young, once she got old enough for school and friends and such we put her on a regular schedule, plus by that time my dh was no longer working the late shifts and had a regular 8-5 job lol
    DreainCO

Answer by DreainCO at 3:04 PM on Jul. 24, 2012

• I don't think it's healthy at all. Putting the obvious physical consequences aside, what about socialization? How is that kid ever going to make friends when everyone his age is awake whe nhe's asleep and viceversa?
    Why would anyone consider this a good option is beyond me. I can understand the 2 previous posters and their particular situations and the fact that they're talking about babies. But aside from that, I agree with Dardenella, it sounds downright neglectful.

Sharon
    momto2boys973

Answer by momto2boys973 at 11:26 AM on Jul. 25, 2012

• Well really without more info I can't say. When mine were still not in school and DH worked nights and I stayed at home we would sleep when DH slept and be up when he was and that meant we didn't go to bed until like 3 am.

As long as they are getting enough sleep I don't think it really matters when that happens and as far as the social aspect really? That is such a stretch just like homeschooled kids are not socialized!
    Anonymous

• I think it there will come a time when it will be hard to reverse that
    booklover545

Answer by booklover545 at 7:53 PM on Jul. 27, 2012

• I don't think it's healthy for a child. There are studies that show working nights/sleeping days isn't even healthy for adults, so I imagine the effects of that on a child would be even greater. I also agree with some pp's on where that child is going to be able to make friends/socialize with peers if they are sleeping all day.
    There are certain things that HAVE to be done during the day - like dr/dentist appointments - and having to be up sometimes during the day when that's normal sleeping hours, can wreak havoc on a child's schedule!

Answer by missanc at 4:24 PM on Jul. 28, 2012

• I am against it, BUT I do not know all situations.
    Lovemyfamilyof8

Answer by Lovemyfamilyof8 at 12:11 PM on Jan. 4, 2013