God on Trial

This movie was made in 2008.  It's hard to watch.  Painful, in fact, if you're the sort to put yourself in the place of the action, and imagine the terror the prisoners felt, and the horrors they faced.  I don't know how anyone who has the slightest idea of the Holocaust and what happened there could not.

Here's a summary of the movie:

This movie is a 2008 television play which is about Jewish prisoners in Auschwitz placing God on trial for abandoning them and letting them die and blindly allowing the Nazi's to kill millions of innocent people. Please respect all of those who died in events such as the Holocaust.

If you cannot watch the whole film - whether because of the time commitment (1hr 25 min), or because of the subject matter (I had to stop several times to catch my breath and return to present day) - here's a powerful scene which takes place before the prisoners announce the verdict - one man stands up to offer a final thought.  This is just about ten minutes, and the part I'd like to focus on for this discussion.

What do you think of this man's assessment of God's treatment of his "chosen people" - or of humankind in general?

jsbenkert

Asked by jsbenkert at 4:12 PM on Jul. 24, 2012 in Religious Debate

• "Your opinion of what I understand is just that-an opinion."

Again, of you claim that these people didn't have free will and only the soldier's free will was existent at the time, then you don't know what free will is. Because that's the one thing no one can take away from you.

Sharon
    momto2boys973

Answer by momto2boys973 at 5:52 PM on Jul. 24, 2012

• And the proof of that is that people going through the same tragedy have enough free will to have 2 opposite reactions: many have their faith strengthen, reach out to G-d and others put Him on trial for His crimes against them.
    THAT is free will.

Sharon
    momto2boys973

Answer by momto2boys973 at 5:54 PM on Jul. 24, 2012

• Again, of you claim that these people didn't have free will and only the soldier's free will was existent at the time, then you don't know what free will is
    ******************
    Think what you want.
    sahmamax2

Answer by sahmamax2 at 5:54 PM on Jul. 24, 2012

*****************************
    except for the ones that got murdered. No freewill there.
    sahmamax2

Answer by sahmamax2 at 5:55 PM on Jul. 24, 2012

• "Again, of you claim that these people didn't have free will and only the soldier's free will was existent at the time, then you don't know what free will is
    ******************
    Think what you want."

I do, that's a basic level of free will. Funny how your reaction is to get offended instead of clarifying your point. Guess you realized your argument was flawed but your who doesn't allow you to just accept it.

Sharon
    momto2boys973

Answer by momto2boys973 at 5:57 PM on Jul. 24, 2012

• I do, that's a basic level of free will. Funny how your reaction is to get offended instead of clarifying your point. Guess you realized your argument was flawed but your who doesn't allow you to just accept it.
    *****************************
    who said I was offended? I"m not.
    i don't need to clarify my point. you can think what you want.
    sahmamax2

Answer by sahmamax2 at 5:59 PM on Jul. 24, 2012

• "And the proof of that is that people going through the same tragedy have enough free will to have 2 opposite reactions: many have their faith strengthen, reach out to G-d and others put Him on trial for His crimes against them.
    *****************************
    except for the ones that got murdered. No freewill there."

Why not? Again, free will is making MORAL choices, not having unlimited choices with no interference whatsoever. You had the choice to die fighting, beg for your life, try to make a deal, try to bargain your life for another's, offer your life to save another or of going peacefully, without a fight. Not having a choice in a situation doesn't mean you have zero free will . There's ALWAYS a choice to do the right, moral thing, regardless of your circumstances. Free will is INSIDE you, not in the outside and in your circumstances.

Sharon
    momto2boys973

Answer by momto2boys973 at 6:02 PM on Jul. 24, 2012

• The parents from the case I posted didn't have a choice in loosing their child. A crazy murderer chose for them. It doesn't mean they don't have free will. They could choose to become embittered and angry, put G-d "on trial" and decide they've been wronged by Him. Or, as they did, they could use their tragedy to strengthen their faith and trust in G-d, and to have their tragedy inspire something positive.
    THAT, again, is what free will is. What you choose to go with the circumstances presented to you, not having the capacity to choose those circumstances.

Sharon
    momto2boys973

Answer by momto2boys973 at 6:08 PM on Jul. 24, 2012

• Have I mentioned how much the free will discussion makes my head hurt?

...carry on...
    charlotsomtimes

Answer by charlotsomtimes at 7:06 PM on Jul. 24, 2012

• Why not? Again, free will is making MORAL choices, not having unlimited choices with no interference whatsoever.
    >>>
    I think some are confusing free will with superhuman
    adnilm

Answer by adnilm at 7:36 PM on Jul. 24, 2012