Why wont he sleep!!

My 2 1/2 yo son will NOT sleep at night. He wont take naps either EVER. His bed time is between 7:30 and 8pm. He goes to bed and wakes up not later then 12am and WONT go back to sleep til the next night. I dont get any sleep because of it. And I NEED sleep, I also have a 1yo and a newborn. I have tried to give him a drink, snack, t.v, he isnt sick, and he wont sleep any better if he sleeps with me. I have tried anything just to get him to sleep. In the beginning I wont do nothinig just put him to bed and tell him to go back to sleep/ But when that didnt work I had to try something. And ideas as to why he wont sleep. I NEED SLEEP AGAIN!!!!

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 9:55 AM on Feb. 3, 2009 in Toddlers (1-2)

• Ask the pediatrician. There may be something he can do.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 9:59 AM on Feb. 3, 2009

• Is that really a reason to call the dr. He doesnt go back to him for 6m. I cant do this for 6m
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:01 AM on Feb. 3, 2009

• maybe make his bed time a little later, my daughter is 22 months old...we had a bedtime to wear we would bath read a book n bed by 8 she started doing something bout the same, she would sleep about 4-5 hours and be up again, and stay up until 1pm. n take a nap for just about an hour if I was lucky, and do the same....I started making her bedtime at 10pm. and now she sleeps until usually 8-9. and usually takes no nap if she does its no more then 30 mintues. Some kids just dont sleep as well as others do. My daughter would wake up and say play mom play... so now shes sleepling lol
    Staceyymichelle

Answer by Staceyymichelle at 10:09 AM on Feb. 3, 2009

• To answer your question, yes this is a good reason to call the doctor. Your child is severely sleep deprived and so are you, there could be something going on medically that is keeping him from sleeping. He should be getting between 12-14 hours per day at this age. If there isn't anything medically wrong your pediatrician might be able to offer you some things to try. Good luck and hang in there!
    Mammoo

Answer by Mammoo at 10:24 AM on Feb. 3, 2009

• I agree that a call to the pediatrician might be warranted. My doctor's office has a nurse line that we can call and pass along our information. They'll let the doctor know and the nurse will call back with suggestions or to let us know that the doctor would like to see us.

I agree with Mammoo that a child that age should be getting 12-14 hours per day. My 2 1/2 year olds get a 3 hour nap daily and sleep around 10-12 hours at night.
    mommytoadam

Answer by mommytoadam at 10:43 AM on Feb. 3, 2009