Do you punish your child for things they do at school if the teachers have already punished them for it?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 9:59 AM on Feb. 3, 2009 in School-Age Kids (5-8)

• yup just reinforcing the rules.
    YamahaGoddess

Answer by YamahaGoddess at 10:01 AM on Feb. 3, 2009

• you bet ya.
    jodi205

Answer by jodi205 at 10:01 AM on Feb. 3, 2009

• I do.
    Christine0813

Answer by Christine0813 at 10:06 AM on Feb. 3, 2009

• Yes.
    Wimsey

Answer by Wimsey at 10:06 AM on Feb. 3, 2009

• What "YamahaGoddess" said

Butterfly1108

Answer by Butterfly1108 at 10:07 AM on Feb. 3, 2009

• If they get a swat at school he gets one when he comes home, if he cusz then no tv for a week, if he is the leader in any of the things that are going on; all toys are out the door till he can prove he can be good... An so forth and so on... So YUP!!!!!!!!
    HottMamaRossx2

Answer by HottMamaRossx2 at 10:16 AM on Feb. 3, 2009

• It all depends on what type of trouble he got into first and how it was handled by the teacher before I decide wither or not he needs further punishment..
     If it's not serious, then no, we just have a talk and that is it... children will learn by their mistakes as we all have done and as a parent I don't think adding insult to the injury for something minor is neccesarry.
     Something bigger then we have a different story and again it depends on how the teacher handled it... JMO

gmasboy

Answer by gmasboy at 10:33 AM on Feb. 3, 2009

• Absolutely. I'm his parent and I want him to know that his teacher and I communicate so I know what punishment was given, the crime commited, etc.

For example, when my son was in 1st grade, he and another boy decided it would be great fun to pee all over the bathroom floor. The teachers gave them indoor recess (personally I would have made him clean it up). After I got that phone call from the school, I was furious. When my son came home from school we talked about how much extra work he caused the custodian. I called the school and told them that my son would be in early the next morning to apologize to the custodian for causing him extra work. My son was terrified to apologize!! But he did it and he's never had another incident like that. Now a 3rd grader he even helps the custodian at lunchtime clean up trays, etc.
    mommytoadam

Answer by mommytoadam at 11:09 AM on Feb. 3, 2009

• No, if he/she has already been punished, I don't punish them again. I make them aware that I do know, and we talk about it. If it was something major, I would like cutting class, or something that could be dangerous to them or others.
    KFree907

Answer by KFree907 at 11:21 AM on Feb. 3, 2009

• It all depends on what it is. For the most part I do...
    NJMom2Tyler

Answer by NJMom2Tyler at 11:25 AM on Feb. 3, 2009