helping animals or helping themselves?

so we have been looking for a doberman puppy for quite some time i called our humane society yesterday and they have noooo puppies at all. so i get on the internet and look up rescue centers for animals, what a joke they want almost as much as a breeder would for their animals. are they there to help the animals find homes or help their own pockets?

jodi205

Asked by jodi205 at 10:12 AM on Feb. 3, 2009 in Just for Fun

• i have often wondered this myself.. it really is ajoke.. if i'm going to buy a dog and spend that much i'll buy it from a breeder who will give me a health warrenty.
    krazyash023

Answer by krazyash023 at 10:13 AM on Feb. 3, 2009

• its suppose to be them helping the animals not their pockets
    wendy232425

Answer by wendy232425 at 10:13 AM on Feb. 3, 2009

• exactly ash. i couldn't believe it when i got on some of those sites how disgusting and that is what we decided to do is look for breeders in our area. what a shame that they are driving people away from saving an animal in need.
    jodi205

Answer by jodi205 at 10:15 AM on Feb. 3, 2009

• I know it sucks. We were looking at shelters in our area and found nothing that was even appropriate for us. All the dogs were recommended to go to a quiet home with no kids. We have 3 so it wasen't going to work for us. We looked online at a website, www.potcakeplace.com That's where we got our pup from. There are volunteers who take the stray dogs found on the island, there are alot! and then they show them online if they are healthy and passed their vet checks. Then they have volunteers who either live or vacation on the islands to bring the dogs with them to a meeting place with you. We picked out pup up at the airport. My mom has one too and so do 2 of her friends, they are lovely dogs. Maybe you might find one you like.
    AmandaH321

Answer by AmandaH321 at 10:16 AM on Feb. 3, 2009

• i know what you meam, i wanted an english bulldog and i wanted to adopt it so i called an animal shelter and it was $1,600, and the breeder charges $1,800. i thought it was crazy that they do that although at the local shelter, all of the "employees" are volunteers that do not get paid so I think that they charge so much to help pay for things for the animals, Im not sure tho.

p.s. I have a doberman that you can have! my hubby would kill me but that dog drives me crazy, he chewed up a $500 Coach purse and a pair of my favorite high heels.
    Candice_brooke

Answer by Candice_brooke at 10:19 AM on Feb. 3, 2009

• candice how old is it.
    jodi205

Answer by jodi205 at 10:23 AM on Feb. 3, 2009

• We ran into something similar this past August. Some asshole dumped a box of three new born kittens behind our house in the sweltering sun. We took them in and ran them to the Humane Society where we were told they were going to put them to sleep...we could have just let them die! So we wound up nursing them back to health and giving them to good homes...well we kept one. They told DD they wanted X amount of money to help him in any way...it all seems like it is about the money these days. Even asking questions was met with we don't have a licensed vet here so we cannot give you any advice..so we had to look online. Mean people suck!
    salexander

Answer by salexander at 10:56 AM on Feb. 3, 2009

• Rescues ask anywhere from 150 up to 600 from what I have seen. Larger rescues that have a lot of dogs have higher adoption fees because they have so much outgoing every month with food, speutering, vaccines, wormings, heartworm testing and treatments, treating illness and injury, supplies, etc... They have to be able to keep the rescue going and to care for the animals they take in. I have never seen a rescue that makes any money, that is for sure. If you are suspicious of a rescue and they really are asking an insane amount of money, investigate, look up their non profit status, ask around for references or info on them so you can make an educated decision.
    KTMOM

Answer by KTMOM at 11:06 AM on Feb. 3, 2009

• I agree with KTMOM...1600 for a bulldog from a shelter seems suspicious to me. We have 3 animals from shelters and they all cost us anywhere from 60 to 100 and they were already fixed and had had their first set of shots and got first vet visit free. And yes, shelters have to pay for everything from funding, usually not much from the government either. So shots, food, health care, boarding, electricity, you name it, they pay for it.
    TheDragn01

Answer by TheDragn01 at 12:40 PM on Feb. 3, 2009