How do I get my toddler to go to sleep by himself and stay asleep?

I have started a bad habit of rocking him to sleep and now he wakes in the night and can't soothe himself back to sleep because he wants me. I am usually so exhausted from this going on for so long that I sleep on the couch with him or put him in my bed. Help I need sleep and he does too. Can anyone give me some advice to help me with this?
Thanks

shortyparker

Asked by shortyparker at 10:36 AM on Feb. 3, 2009 in Toddlers (1-2)

• OOh you sound like me when my first son who is now 4! , girl, to this day i will find him in my beds most nights, now i have another son as well, who is 2, and he will creep right on in as well

They only stay in their beds all night when they are exhausted or when i play their music for them. Soft bed time music, no more rocking, unless you want him 4-5-6 still sleeping with mama!
    camtri3

Answer by camtri3 at 10:39 AM on Feb. 3, 2009

• Have you tried creating another bedtime routine for him that doesn't include rocking? Maybe winding down the night with him in his bed and you reading a story to him? Or maybe some soft light or music might work? We use a fan in our daughters' room for white noise. It's hard when they won't sleep on their own. Just try to be as consistent as possible.
    mommytoadam

Answer by mommytoadam at 10:41 AM on Feb. 3, 2009