What is insurance companies required to pay?

We just had a ice storm. We lost all food from deep freeze, two refrigerator freezers and some stuff from the fridge. Power was off for 5 days. I put everything outside when it first happened, cause it was cold. One day got up to 41 and 60 another. So everything defrosted. They will only give us $500 to replace everything. They also say they won't pay for the trees and clean-up of those trees. Is this legit? Thanks all, Paige

paigeob

Asked by paigeob at 10:43 AM on Feb. 3, 2009 in Money & Work

• Most policies have a cap on food, and $500 sounds normal. As for the trees, every policy is different. So , yes, they could be correct.
    customcat2000

Answer by customcat2000 at 10:45 AM on Feb. 3, 2009

• You have to go over your policy and see what is covered and what isnt. If you have questions about it then you can contact your insurer and ask them to go over it with you and see why you dont qualify for more repairs.

Answer by gemgem at 10:46 AM on Feb. 3, 2009

• I'm sorry for your Loss! This has happened to us! Each time We were Screwed!! We last 8 trees last year, Sheds, A camper, A Corn crib, wood bin Etc.. A Huge mess & nothing was covered! Same for the Food We saved the stinky food & DH got Mad & threw it all Away.. So they Demanded Proff of what We had. Reciepts! Like We kept it for every one of our grocery purchases! I've told this is an Act of God..My flood was uncovered!! Etc.. They have blankets of excuses to get out of paying!! I'm Sorry but that is how it was for us!! Tree Clean up too was Denied! We got No help or any Money!!
    Angellinda

Answer by Angellinda at 11:14 AM on Feb. 3, 2009

• Sounds right to me. They don't pay to clean up your trees. It's your responsibility. They only pay for damages to your home.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:15 AM on Feb. 3, 2009

• Ohhhh, I don't know, Depends on your policy. You know you can hire an independant company to come in and assess your loss for you and deal with the insurance company for you. I work for a company that does that and we usually get our clients the money for every thing they lose, including food. Generally, as a rule for contents, If It's not attached to the house, we can get the money for it. I think you should look into it...It sounds like you have replacement cost in your policy, which the age of whatever you owned it considered in the replacement value, instead of an actual cost replacement... boring boring boring. Sorry, I'm getting all insurance on you, lol.
    JenO1818

Answer by JenO1818 at 1:18 PM on Feb. 3, 2009

• Check your policy.
    Anonymous