Considering daycare

I have two kids, 3yrs and 19 mos. My 19 month old has BAD separation anxiety. I can't go outside or even in another room of the house without him having a melt down. He is very temperamental and is very hard to please because of this. I stay home with them while hubby works and because of this it's very hard to get a break from them. I've been considering daycare maybe 2-3 days a week(for 19 mos old) mostly because I think it will help with his separation issues and his behavior problems, but also so I can get a mental break from him too. Is this bad? I'm staying home so we don't have to worry about daycare and now I'm considering it. Thoughts?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 10:53 PM on Jul. 24, 2012 in Toddlers (1-2)

• I think it would be good for everyone involved. I am going back to work and about to put our 2 kids in full time daycare. My oldest is almost 2 and used to be babysat a few hours a day when I worked part time, but that was a year ago. I feel a little guilty but I know that both would benefit. My daughter has issues with sharing and playing nicely and my son who is 7 months has issues being away from Mommy. I know if I wait much longer he will start having the terrible separation anxiety.
    Don't feel bad, it will help him and you, plus if I did that I would use the time to get housework done. It is almost impossible for me to get stuff dove during the day unless they nap together ( but that rarely happens).
    AF4life

Answer by AF4life at 11:18 PM on Jul. 24, 2012

• I think that you should practice it at home first.Let him cry and leave him in another room...don't give in,until he get's use to the idea of not having to be at your hip.Then consider day care if he doesn't improve,it may be a little tramatic for him if you just cut him cold turkey like that.Just think one day he can cry and be at your hip and the next he is dropped off with a bunch of stragers,that may be too cruel or way too much for him.Get him use to it first.
    GivingTreeMommy

Answer by GivingTreeMommy at 11:40 PM on Jul. 24, 2012

• Oh I've tried leaving him in another room he screams bloody murder for a good 45mins to an hour sometimes, that's why I'm at my wits end. I can't leave him at my mom's because she's in a wheelchair and can't take care of him.
    Anonymous

Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 11:51 PM on Jul. 24, 2012

• I personally hated daycare for my son. I just don't think that anyone can care for your child like you can or a family member. I would consider taking him to playdates so he can socialize with other children. My son was clingy for the first year and a half and setting up playdates and taking him to the local park really helped him become a little more independent. Is there anyone you can have babysit for a couple hours that you trust? Daycare is very expensive and a babysitter might be cheaper. Good luck in whatever you do.
    Bugzmomma

Answer by Bugzmomma at 11:52 PM on Jul. 24, 2012

• Daycare would help with his anxiety. He would also learn how to play with other kids other than his brother. Many daycares, at least by me don't take kids part time. They need the space for working parents. There may be a nursery program that would take him part time for about 3 hours. That would allow you some private time with out him and you'd be able to get things done. It would also be cheaper.
    robinkane

Answer by robinkane at 9:29 AM on Jul. 25, 2012

• I'd look at a Mother's Day out program or something like that before I went to a regular day care schedule.

At 19 months old, separation anxiety is normal, albeit tiring for mom. Look into part-time mother's helpers, someone that can come to the house while your still around to entertain the kids and give you a break. We did this a few times. It's a good way to test run baby sitters too. :)
    ldmrmom

Answer by ldmrmom at 1:18 PM on Jul. 25, 2012

• Thanks for everyone's advice. I think I may either look into my mom taking him for a couple hours a day or I may find a good daycare center.
    Anonymous

Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 3:47 PM on Jul. 25, 2012