cont.

We had it last night when she lied about a kid going to be on at 5, then she said she had said "I will try to be on at 5". We let her play for 1/2 hr and the kid wasn't there till 5:20 which by then she had 10 min left. The argument started and it was a lose for her and now we are thinking of stopping this webkinz craze. There have been other instances w/them and the "wanting instant gratification" kicks in. We are so... sick of them. What would you do or have done?

cat4458

Asked by cat4458 at 10:50 AM on Feb. 3, 2009 in Tweens (9-12)

• OMG, I SO feel your pain!!! My DH and I went thru this with DD (who is 11 now) when she was 9. We finally had to ground her from the computer unless she is under direct supervision (ie, I'm actually sitting with her). School work was suffering, chores weren't being done, etc. She still gets them as gifts, but the online stuff had to STOP.

I think you did the right think by sticking to your 30 minute rule. And the allowence advance. You're doing good by teaching her that we don't get an advance on our paycheck just cause we REALLY want a new toy...way to go Mama!!

If it gets to be too much, then the (the Webkinz) may need to go on a little "vacation" for her to unwind from them (we had to do this too). it's gotten much better in the past six months since we grounded her from the computer though. Good luck to you!!
    Fourbymom

Answer by Fourbymom at 12:42 PM on Feb. 3, 2009

• This is what I have to look forward to??? I have 2 boys, 10 and 12. My daughter is 7-going-on-17. She likes the Webkinz, but isn't nuts about it. My kids whine when they don't get their way, but that doesn't last long. I yell louder, and I still scare them. My 12 is special needs, so he is about 5 mentally. My 10 year old on the other hand, has taken up 'you make me feel like I'm not part of this family!' and 'you don't love me enough'. I just laugh at him, and tell him he is being rediculous. We will have our hands full with my daughter. She's being called a mini-me more and more. Not sure if that is meant as an insult, I hope not. She told her new bus driver that she must not make enough money, if she did, she would move away from here. I have NO idea where that came from, we haven't said anything like that about anyone. She may be 7, but she sure acts like a tween!
    Buffie95

Answer by Buffie95 at 5:12 PM on Feb. 3, 2009