Diabetic Reaction, help please

my boyfriend slept over & my dad was sleeping in his room which is down the hall from mine. well my dad is a diabetic and i think he was having a reaction. around 6am he came into my room and my boyfriend had to wake me up because i didnt know and my dad was just standing by my door. then he started walking to my boyfriend and tripped over my heater. I kept shouting " Dad " over and over again, even after he fell. but he just got to his knees and shouted like a private would like ARG. finally my mom came in my room and tried to help. Now he looked RIGHT at me when he was shouting. is this normal for a diabetic? the doctor said hes blood sugar was 40 - 50. so that means it was really low. but is this normal for a reaction??? or was he just sleep walking? is a sleep walking normal for a diabetic??? please help I am really worried.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 10:58 AM on Feb. 3, 2009 in Health

• My dad was a very brittle diabetic. When his sugar was that low he muttered strange things and did not make sense. I imagine that was very frightening for you. As his blood sugar comes back up, he probably won't even remember. Good luck hon....diabetes is really hard on both the patient and the family.
    SusieD250

Answer by SusieD250 at 11:22 AM on Feb. 3, 2009

• The reactions can really range from person to person. We all have our own little tell-tale signs. I, for example, rub my hands together and repeat myself over and over like I don't remember just saying it seconds ago. I have to admit I've never slept walked before so I don't think that's simply because of him being a diabetic but again an individual thing. Whats important when one is low is that you get there blood sugar up with some juice, glucose tablets or other fast acting sugar and then have him eat something that reacts slower such as a sandwich or oatmeal to keep him up, otherwise once the fast acting sugar wears off he'll go right back down!
    Mom2Jack04

Answer by Mom2Jack04 at 11:22 AM on Feb. 3, 2009

• I forgot about the walking thing. I remember my dad a couple times would get up to go get some juice and forget what he was doing. Sometimes we would find him standing in the hall.
    We ended up keeping a juice box or can of juice by his bed.
    SusieD250

Answer by SusieD250 at 11:29 AM on Feb. 3, 2009

• Reaction can differ, but yes that sounds like something that would happen from a low blood sugar. I work for the ambulance and see this alot. My most memoriable one was a guy who was found laying in the middle of the road. When I arrived I walked up to him and tapped his shoulder, he woke up screamed his name 3 times, punched and kicked me, and spit on me and rolled down the road, and fell right back asleep! We did this for about 10 minutes, tell I had enough cops to help me pick him up and load him. His sugar was about 30. I started a IV gave him D50 and in 2 minutes he was asking me what happened, oddly enough he was the nicest man ever! He was so worried that he might have hurt me, I told him nope I am fine!
    I have picked up alot of people that we think are drunk (breath smells like alcohol, which can happen with low blood sugar) and turns out it was low blood sugar.
    Med109

Answer by Med109 at 2:14 AM on Feb. 4, 2009

• My sister was also diabetic, and if her sugar was low at night she would wander into my room, and not respond, I think somehow she knew I could get it back up to normal, so thats why she would come in, so it was like she was sleepwalking.
    After you give sugar (OJ with sugar in it works great) make sure to make them eat something with protein afterwards, if not there blood sugar will drop again faster and lower!
    Med109

Answer by Med109 at 2:17 AM on Feb. 4, 2009