Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Can We be taken to a Collection Agency for medical Bills?

We have medical Bills.. From '05 & '07. I had some health issues.. I've never gotten them taken care of or helped my Health since.. We pay what we can.. But my Dh is on another long time Lay off.. I'm jobless... I try to tell them but they don't seem to care!! The collection Agency we were at had A bill for us. They never ever contacted us.. It was there for 6 years & we owed just $48.00!! So how could we pay if we didn't know it was there? Plus one time they called me & I asked for A Bill! I got one & it was blank with NO name to call them, No phone no.# & no where did it say who they were or to whom to make out the Check!! Is that Normal?? I pay a Hefty price for long distance phone calls so I don't call much! They also had on our account Bills for a child of ours that was of age! Are we liable for A child that is of age, adult that moved out??

Answer Question

Asked by Angellinda at 11:08 AM on Feb. 3, 2009 in Money & Work

Level 21 (11,804 Credits)
Answers (9)
  • Yes. You're held responsible.

    Answer by imacafemom at 11:09 AM on Feb. 3, 2009

  • Yes, your responsible for the bills.

    Answer by Anonymous at 11:13 AM on Feb. 3, 2009

  • just as the others said...yes you can

    Answer by how_reb at 11:14 AM on Feb. 3, 2009

  • Yes, they can try to collect money from you. I would call them (if you have a number) and leave your number and have them call you back. Otherwise call the doctor's office and see if they will withdraw the bill from collections and set up a payment plan with you.
    Unfortunately if your child has put you down as person responsible for the bill then yes you can be held liable and would have to take your child to court to get the money back. You can try to tell them that your child was of age when the date of service occurred and you want them to bill your child. Give them your child's address and make the kid responsible for it. Until it is paid though it is still in your name.
    If you contact them and pay them even a small amount, usually they will not send you to collections. An exception is a hospital. They want their money now. You can request a charity write off, contact them for paperwork.

    Answer by Anonymous at 11:15 AM on Feb. 3, 2009

  • Yep but even without work Id contact a non profit credit counseling organization. They work with collections alot and will try and get interest and what not dropped and deferrment on payments where they can.

    Answer by gemgem at 11:16 AM on Feb. 3, 2009

  • Sure they can, but usually if you are willing to pay them even $5 a mo on it, they might work with you. Just because they are med bills doesn't mean the rules change. I wish it did though.

    Answer by momofsaee at 11:24 AM on Feb. 3, 2009

  • Call a credit counseling agency such as Credit Counselors of America. It should be a toll-free number. They will handle it for you and may be able to decrease how much you owe and you could make small payments on it.

    Answer by Anonymous at 11:37 AM on Feb. 3, 2009

  • They can and will send you to collections. You can be sued and when you are working again your wages can and probably will be garnished.

    Answer by Anonymous at 12:31 PM on Feb. 3, 2009

  • will cost them more than $48 to sue you over a $48 bill. They are like all other collectors and trying to intimidate and scare you. You've tried to explain your situation, they won't listen and won't work with you so you've done all you can. If you can pay the bill, pay it, if not, it's not a big enough amount to worry about. They'll get over the $48!

    Answer by Kristin21 at 5:35 PM on Feb. 3, 2009

Join CafeMom now to contribute your answer and become part of our community. It's free and takes just a minute.