How should I handle my 5 year old, she is constantly talking back?

What she don't want to wear? With everything, she don't stop. I don't want to spank her, any other suggestions... :) I have 4 and she is a doozy...

KFree907

Asked by KFree907 at 11:11 AM on Feb. 3, 2009 in School-Age Kids (5-8)

• I dont have a 5 year old. But I have a friend who does time out. She says that she puts her daughter in a place where she cant see anything or anyone because she likes to be the center of attention and this stops it so she starts behaving. hope this helps.
    Aidansmom2728

Answer by Aidansmom2728 at 11:34 AM on Feb. 3, 2009

• My son won't sit in time out. If you find an answer, LET ME KNOW!!! I think alot of ppl have this problem hence no answer, lol.
    JenO1818

Answer by JenO1818 at 2:02 PM on Feb. 3, 2009

• My daughter started talking back once she reached school age as well. It's amazing what they pick up at school. Anyhow, what we did is carry over the same behavior program they used in her kindergarten class. It's based on a green, yellow, red card system. Each day she starts out with a green card, throughout the day if she would talk back or mis behave in any way SHE would have to change her card to yellow (being a warning) or red depending on the infraction. For the rest of the day there are chance for her to redeem her green status, but if she continues to misbehave and the card is on a yellow or red she would lose a privilege. For us this worked better than timeouts. After losing TV privileges or the use of her bike a couple times it curbed the back talking quickly.
    Anonymous

• I also has a 5 year old with the same problem but i found a solution that worked for him. I made a chore chart with simple task like pick up room make beb, etc little things he could manage, with little help. On our fridge we have a sry earse board and everytime he get a "chore" done he puts an X beside it then after his bath rite before bed, We go look at the chart and see what he get's paid. I give him uaually a quter a chore, depends if i have to remind him more than once or the change I have on me, but he always get i coin per chore. If he back talks I give him one warning per day if he does it again. I make him take a coin out of him piggy bank and put it back in the jar I keep my loose change in. The first few days he would have to give me back all of his money because of his mouth it didn't take him long to figure out that if he wanted to keep him money he had to watch his mouth. Hope this helps you GL
    mkmama3130

Answer by mkmama3130 at 8:29 PM on Feb. 3, 2009

• Check out the 1-2-3 Magic Program. It REALLY works! Go to http://www.parentmagic.com/

maggiemom2000

Answer by maggiemom2000 at 11:02 PM on Feb. 3, 2009

• JenO1818
    My son won't sit in time out. If you find an answer, LET ME KNOW!!! I think alot of ppl have this problem hence no answer, lol.

Sit nearby and watch him. Let him know in a stern voice that every time he gets up, he will sit there longer. Be consistant. and a mean face helps too.
    motherofhope98

Answer by motherofhope98 at 10:28 AM on Feb. 4, 2009

• For all of you who say their kid won't sit in time out:
    MAKE THEM!!! I had a kid like that too. He was all amped up on steroids for his asthma too. YOU stand in the corner w/ them and hold them in place. Restrain them and don't speak to them. When they calm down keep them there for another minute and then tell them whatever they did is not allowed and give them an alternative. I CANNOT believe that you have NO CONTROL over your children. YOU are the boss.
    BTW He was 4 when that was going on and about 60 pounds, he is a huge kid. He is now 11 and is as sweet as can be, as long as he is not on the football field.
    4monkees

Answer by 4monkees at 2:43 PM on Feb. 4, 2009

• my now 6 year old step son has this issue. He likes to mock me. I think something is wrong with him though, I explain what mocking and talking back is and he just stares at me. He spends a lot of time in the corner and not playing in the pool and not having fun because he wants to be a smart ass.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 12:35 AM on Aug. 25, 2009