May become the 3rd Republican to join Obama administration. what you think?

I think it show great effort on the part of President Obama.

AP – In this Sept. 28, 2008 file photo, Sen. Judd Gregg, R-N.H., responds to questions from reporters on Capitol …
Play VideoBarack Obama Video: Clinton: US Mideast envoy going back to region AP
Play VideoBarack Obama Video: Jake Tapper on the Stimulus Plan ABC News
Play VideoBarack Obama Video: Senate debate today KVUE-TV Austin
WASHINGTON – President Barack Obama has nominated Republican Sen. Judd Gregg to be Commerce secretary. Obama announced the nomination at the White House.
If confirmed, Gregg would be the third Republican in the Democrat's Cabinet, joining Defense Secretary Robert Gates and Transportation Secretary Ray LaHood.
It was the last open spot in the senior ranks of the Obama administration.

ny.chica

Asked by ny.chica at 11:15 AM on Feb. 3, 2009 in Politics & Current Events

• Pretty sure he said he wasnt going to take it or didnt want it?
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:20 AM on Feb. 3, 2009

• POLITICAL CALCULATIONS

Although Gregg said he would not take the cabinet job if it would give the Democrats a legislative advantage in the Senate, New Hampshire Governor John Lynch appeared to clear the way for his Gregg's cabinet appointment, at least politically.

"I have made it clear to the Senate leadership on both sides of the aisle and to the governor that I would not leave the Senate if I felt my departure would cause a change in the makeup of the Senate," The New York Times quoted Gregg as saying.

Lynch, a Democrat, indicated in a brief statement that he would yield to Gregg's demands and appoint a Republican to replace him in the Senate. (from yahoo news)
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    As long as they dont replace him with a democrat then I dont see an issue with it. Otherwise he said he wont take it.

Answer by gemgem at 11:22 AM on Feb. 3, 2009

• anon actually he said he would not accept it if it meant giving democrats another seat in the senate, but since his replacement is almost certain Lynch to be a Republican, probably Bonnie Newman. She is a veteran of the Reagan White House who served as Gregg's chief of staff during his House tenure he will not have a problem accepting it

ny.chica

Answer by ny.chica at 11:23 AM on Feb. 3, 2009

• I think it shows the president is willing to work with the other side.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:24 AM on Feb. 3, 2009

• This is one of Obama's policies that I actually like. He does seem to be open to at least listening to the other side. That's cool.

I may not agree with his policies, but he is really smart when it comes to the general population. He wears celebrity well.
    lovinangels

Answer by lovinangels at 11:25 AM on Feb. 3, 2009

• loving is amazing that even when the president does something that you actually like you still have to sneak in a jab.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:27 AM on Feb. 3, 2009

• He's also suggested cutting the Commerce sec'y's role completely and cutting the entire department from the budget - if you can't beat em join em?

Every president puts at least one member of the opposite party in their cabinet, or tries to - they don't always get confirmed. I wonder if the whole attempting to axe the entire department he's now supposed to run is going to impact his confirmation.
    NotPanicking

Answer by NotPanicking at 11:27 AM on Feb. 3, 2009

• Here is why NObama is trying to appoint this republican into office, NOT for bipartisianship, but for complete filibuster proof control so that his socialist agenda and this stimulus package will pass.......

President Barack Obama and House Speaker Nancy Pelosi are on the verge of putting into law a $819 billion “stimulus” program — unless they are stopped.

This program is nothing less than a rip-off of taxpayers like you and me.

The U.S. Senate will vote soon on this spending boondoggle, one of the most disgusting pork-barrel bills ever presented to Congress.

And hold on to your hat: The Senate version backed by Majority Leader Harry Reid is even worse — it calls for an additional $71 billion in spending — totaling $890 billion.

............(continued).................
    blessed5x

Answer by blessed5x at 11:27 AM on Feb. 3, 2009

• .............(continued)...............Under Senate rules, the Democrats, led by Harry Reid, must come up with 60 votes to stop the Republican filibuster. That’s why Obama and his allies are launching an all-out effort to pressure several liberal Republicans to cross over and vote for the package. The Democrats also are worried about several conservatives in their party who are up for re-election in 2010 and just might not want to vote for such an outrageous bill.

Always an ulterior motive for NObama!

blessed5x

Answer by blessed5x at 11:29 AM on Feb. 3, 2009

• blessed5x how is appointing this republican into office, giving obama complete filibuster?
    ny.chica

Answer by ny.chica at 11:30 AM on Feb. 3, 2009