I feel embarassed that my baby girl refused to take sippy cup! she's goin to be 9 months!

I tried since the doctor tells me she can have sippy. and first i started and still on she still think its a toy.. i put that sippy in her mouth she screams and cry doesnt want it. and she throws them and spilled the formula.. :( messy on the carpet... and i clean that up and still on she still wont take sippy... :( I wont force her but. I dont know what to do... can you all help or give me advice? she is going to be 9 months this 14th. and 3 months she turns 1. she should take sippy by now. she still throw them and banging with it... or spilled it all over..

rachtrin

Asked by rachtrin at 11:15 AM on Feb. 3, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• OMG. She is still a BABY. Lighten up. Give it to her for a few minutes every day. Take it away before she throws it. Pretty soon she will be used to it.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:17 AM on Feb. 3, 2009

• She will take it when she is ready. Give her formula in a bottle, and let her have a sippy of water all throughout the day. She'll get the hang of it. My son didn't take a sippy until well past 12 mos.
    Krysta622

Answer by Krysta622 at 11:18 AM on Feb. 3, 2009

• my little one didnt understand the cup til almost one! dont worry and dont force it otherwise they wont want it.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:20 AM on Feb. 3, 2009

• I started the girls on those soft sippy cups. The ones that are almost like a bottle but have the silicon soft sippy nipple instead of a regular bottle nipple. Other than the flow of fluids they didn't notice a difference almost. I know Nuby and I think Playtex makes them. You can get them anywhere Walmart, Target, Kmart, etc.
    watersgirls

Answer by watersgirls at 11:21 AM on Feb. 3, 2009

• Nine months is a baby! Let her have a bottle until she grows up a little bit. Theres no right or wrong way to do this. Just give her time.
    momofsaee

Answer by momofsaee at 11:22 AM on Feb. 3, 2009

• soft sippy cups!? i hated the one i had.. from walmart. hard.. and she tried to chew it lol..

If we go to target, I buy the sippy cups! lol
    rachtrin

Answer by rachtrin at 11:27 AM on Feb. 3, 2009

• I wouldn't worry about it she will take it when she is ready. try it again when you make the switch from formula to milk and juices, etc.
    MeNMy2Kids

Answer by MeNMy2Kids at 11:30 AM on Feb. 3, 2009

• I had to try a few different sippy cups before I found one that ds would take. The frist one was a hard spout that I bought because it was bpa free, then the next one was a little softer, and he took to it. He is now 11 1/2 months and doesn't use a bottle.
    Kristin216

Answer by Kristin216 at 11:33 AM on Feb. 3, 2009

• I have 4 boys. My oldest took right to the cup at 6 months and never even had a bottle. My middle 2 didn't like the cup so they got formula in a bottle and diluted juice in a cup(6mo). Once they got used to the cup I gave them that instead of the bottle. THey were off the bottle my 8-9 months. My youngest got a sippy for Christmas and took right to it and doesn't have bottles now either. He'll be 7 mo this month.
    Let her keep her bottle for milk and just give her some water or diluted juice in the cup during the day until she gets used to it. It's not a big deal if she has a bottle til she's one. I wouldn't stress about it yet. Just keep offering it and eventually she'll take it.
    cbx3mom

Answer by cbx3mom at 11:42 AM on Feb. 3, 2009

• Try some different cups. It's a matter of finding the one she will take. We had good luck with NUBY cups. We started at 6 months and it probably took about 2 weeks...teaching them what came out of it, how to hold it and how to tip it up....

You might also just try going to a straw cup. Some kids take better to a straw than a sippy.
    TiccledBlue

Answer by TiccledBlue at 11:49 AM on Feb. 3, 2009