baby crying in car

my one month old crys in the car. his carseat isnt pokey or too tight,loose. if he is asleep he is ok but the sec he realizes im not holding him he screams/wails/crys. as soon as i pick him up he stops. its like an off on switch. i tried dipping his passy in juice, breastmilk in a bottle, music, shhhh shhhh-ing, quiet, my older kids talking/singing. i am about to just give up and listen to my ipod when driving (dangerous by the way, i wouldnt really do it)

Help Me!!!!

mom of 4.

seeingdreams

Asked by seeingdreams at 11:20 AM on Feb. 3, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• My nephew hated his car seat, it was just something he needed to get used to. have you tried giving him something that smells like you. like a small piece of clothing or something you can place into the car seat with him ( that won't strangle or suffogate him)
    MeNMy2Kids

Answer by MeNMy2Kids at 11:33 AM on Feb. 3, 2009

• My youngest HATED/HATES car rides. When she was a small baby I got these rattle booties and bracelets. She chewed and played with them a little bit. Just an FYI if you hold them a lot at home that sometimes causes the "off switch" of picking them up. I held my girls only when I chose to. Sounds horrible but now I don't have the clingy leg climbers that some have. This way I get to enjoy my kids rather than fight them off all day "up up up!"
    watersgirls

Answer by watersgirls at 11:25 AM on Feb. 3, 2009

• I would take the car seat in the house and let him sit in it a little each day. Gradually work up time to say 20 minutes so that he can get used to sitting in it contentedly. Make sure it is on the floor and that you are with him. That will help him to acclimate to it and know that it is a good thing.

Also, has the seat ever been cold or hot when you put him in it or has he been this way since birth? That may be the reason he hates it. Not that he remembers it, but associates the seat with something that bothers him. GL
    Babylove76

Answer by Babylove76 at 11:37 AM on Feb. 3, 2009

• My son hates the process of being stapped down. He's too hyper and dislikes the thought of sitting still. It might be all it is.
    LaurenKaye29

Answer by LaurenKaye29 at 11:45 AM on Feb. 3, 2009