Should I buy a breast pump before my daughter is born?

I'm 35 wks. and wondering if I should buy a breast pump before I have my daughter or wait until after. I have a 12 week leave so I technically don't have to pump until shortly before returning to work. Suggestions?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 11:20 AM on Feb. 3, 2009 in Pregnancy

• I deffinatly wouldn't give her any of the milk you pumped untill she is about 8 weeks AT LEAST so you make sure she gets the hang of nursing and has good latch. However, I would start pumping ASAP to build a good freezer supply. You will not pump as much as the baby needs to eat as babies are much more efficient at getting milk than a pump. Alot of times, insurance will pay for you to rent an electric grade pump I liked the medela that I used when my daughter was in the NICU. It was yellow, sorry, can't remember the name.
    navy-wife

Answer by navy-wife at 11:23 AM on Feb. 3, 2009

• maybe watch to see if they are on sale anywhere to get the best price but i think you can wait.
    AmaliaD

Answer by AmaliaD at 11:52 AM on Feb. 3, 2009

• I think maybe waiting a couple weeks wouldn't be so bad. My SIL bought a pump and tried to use it for a couple weeks after baby was born, but apparently her body has some kind of problem where she doesn't produce breastmilk. She obviously didn't know that until she had the baby and was out 350 dollars cause you can't return a used pump. If it's your first baby I would wait to see that your body cooperates before shelling out a lot of money.
    Mindi7806

Answer by Mindi7806 at 12:36 PM on Feb. 3, 2009

• I agree with the first post. You may not need to buy it today, but definitly shortly after your daughter is born so that you can get a good supply built up. You also want to be completly comfortable using it before you go back to work and have to rely on it. Definitly check into the insurance. if you dr will right you a prescription for a pump then a lot of times the insurance will let you select a medical grade pump for free or very little cost. The ones that you buy at the store for 50 or so bucks really cannot sustain the kind of pumping you will want to do if you are going back to work and relying on it to keep up your milk supply. Good luck! ps: kind of a side note but I learned this when pumping w/ my daughter. My body didn't let down very well for the pump so i would nurse her on one side while pumping on the other. Switch sides each time you do this and eventually your body should adjust to the pump.
    hannahjoy17

Answer by hannahjoy17 at 12:37 PM on Feb. 3, 2009

• Harmony! The pump was a madela harmony. Great pump with the let down phase.
    navy-wife

Answer by navy-wife at 1:03 PM on Feb. 3, 2009