I'm sad and just need to vent :(

Im 30 years old, married and have a 2 year old and it seems like everyone around me friends and family have or are now getting houses and were still in an apartment! I'm grateful that we have a roof over our heads and don't get me wrong our apartment is lovely, I'm just sad that we are lingering behind in everyones dust.....

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 12:44 PM on Jul. 25, 2012 in Home & Garden

• if you want to own a home, you need to prepare for it financially. save money for a deposit, get rid of any outstanding debts (credit card, medical, student loans, etc), stop buying on credit for unnecessary things...define 'necessary' and stick to it.
    do your financial homework. being able to make mortgage payments is more than just the monthy bill for the home..its insurance, incidential fees/repairs, possibly higher utility bills (most likely, coming from an apartment where they are minimal, in usual cases), HOA fees in some residential areas, property taxes (like home insurance, are figured into your mortgage payment, but do amount to a large part of your monthly payment).
    think smaller first, before setting your eyes on something you can't afford. get bank-approved, but shop around for the best interest rate..banks are in competition..shop around.
    save, save, save.
    dullscissors

Answer by dullscissors at 12:49 PM on Jul. 25, 2012

• I know lots of smart people who rent just so they don't have to fix what breaks or leaks and they don't have property taxes. There are more benifits to renting then owning. Plus you don't have to keep up with other people.
    mrdntn

Answer by mrdntn at 3:33 PM on Jul. 25, 2012

• Do something about it. Save up money for a nice down payment. I know it sounds very curt, but there is nothing else to say. You must have very good credit. Housing prices have dropped and so have interest rates for mortgages. Now is a very good time to buy and you will be surprised to see what you can actually afford.
    robinkane

Answer by robinkane at 3:57 PM on Jul. 25, 2012

• Then you should be motivated to save for a down payment!
    tasches

Answer by tasches at 6:29 PM on Aug. 1, 2012

• Home ownership is not for everyone, however, now is a great time to buy because interest rates are at the lowest they have been in 30 years.  There are many  programs available for first time homebuyers.  There are free workshops available to prepare/educate buyers on how to buy a home and avoid major mistakes that many make.  There are programs sponsored by the government that will assist in purchasing a home and some gage the payments to your income.  Information can be found on the US Gov. website.  The US Department of Agriculture has a program where payments are set according to your income.  Some programs even build the home.  Take your time, do your homework and make informed decisions.  There are lots of options available.

bnt2000

Answer by bnt2000 at 2:59 AM on Aug. 4, 2012

• We bought our house when we were 21, we were finically doing really well but my husband was working 2 jobs at about 75 hours a week. But we could afford it. We spent our savings on the house. Then he got laid off from his full time job a year and a half later and we had been struggling since so I would suggest to save any penny you can. It costs us nearly $10,000 between the downpayment, closing costs, inspections, and anything else we had to pay before moving in. We recently have started working from home and have been really blessed by the income it has produced. If you want to know how you can make the same kind of extra money message me. We truely only work this business only a few hours a week.
    MelSwim7

Answer by MelSwim7 at 3:23 PM on Aug. 8, 2012

• Try your best to stop spending (only buy what you absolutely need) and start saving for that down payment. You can do it!!!!!
    txdaniella

Answer by txdaniella at 11:36 PM on Aug. 9, 2012

• Never mind what everyone else is doing. Keeping up with the Joneses is overrated.

If you're ready, work on your savings.

I was 35 when we bought our home.

Answer by gdiamante at 1:55 AM on Aug. 10, 2012

• I totally understand the feeling. DH and I are at a little different stage in our lives, 25 y.o. expecting our first baby, and starting out jobs/careers (he's a teacher, I'm undecided). I have put a lot of pressure on myself to have this "perfect" life of house, family, dog, cat, the works. Well, we have student loans (just me, thankfully), had to buy a new car (we shared one as long as we could), and are renting a nice apartment. We haven't been careless of our money in the past, in fact we have been very good at budgeting and saving, now we just have to budget and save even more. I talked to my grandparents about their first place when they had their first child. They had a double bed, not even a queen, that fit from wall to wall. My parents built their own house but now can't afford to live there. Sometimes the grass seems greener, but what's best for you is what you can do now. A house isn't everything, but your family is!
    Pooke626

Answer by Pooke626 at 9:15 PM on Aug. 12, 2012

GlitteribonMom

Answer by GlitteribonMom at 11:04 PM on Aug. 21, 2012