Firearms?

Do any of you have any guns? What do you think about having them in the home? What precautions do you take to keep your children safe? My husband just bought me my first guns-thats right, 2, because for some reason I need 2-lol. right now, they are kept on a high shelf in my closet, and there is no way the kids can climb to it, its a single shelf, almost to the ceiling. I also have gun locks on them.

Auntiemom410

Asked by Auntiemom410 at 11:26 AM on Feb. 3, 2009 in Just for Fun

• Yes we own guns in our household. A few of them are my own. The best thing to do as soon as your kids are old enough is to teach them the 4 rules. We taught our daughter when she was 3 years old. She knows not to touch guns when she sees them. She knows to come and get us if there are any left unattended. The best website you can got o as a woman is called Cornered Cat.

It has many different things on the site such as the 4 rules and gun safety around kids.

http://www.corneredcat.com/TOC.aspx
    ldsdragonmom

Answer by ldsdragonmom at 11:31 AM on Feb. 3, 2009

• thanks for the site
    What do ya'll think about bringing my 4 year old with us to shoot?
    hubby thinks it may scare her, but at the same time, i dont want her to get the idea to mimck us.
    Auntiemom410

Answer by Auntiemom410 at 11:33 AM on Feb. 3, 2009

• no i will never have one.
    AmaliaD

Answer by AmaliaD at 11:33 AM on Feb. 3, 2009

• Yep we have them. You need to just keep the ammo and the guns in diff parts but in a place where you can get to it if you need it. We also have a gun safe.

Answer by gemgem at 11:33 AM on Feb. 3, 2009

• Auntie all my kids know how to shoot a gun. If something God forbid ever happened my kids know how to use one for protection and also for hunting. I dont see a problem with bringing him and teaching him basics on gun safety now and still keep them in places he doesnt know about. Around 6-7 you can get bim a bb gun and start showing him basic gun use.

Answer by gemgem at 11:35 AM on Feb. 3, 2009

• We have a rifle and a shotgun. I know how to use both and just went out this past weekend and did some target shooting.. I'm not big into it hubby insists that I practice shooting it in case I would need to use it. He's gone all the time and feels better knowing I have them. I dont' use the rifle , thats our 12 yr olds hunting gun, but I do shoot the shotgun. It holds 5 rounds and after shooting it i FEEL it,lol. I keep it unloaded (during the day) in a good place so that if someone breaks in I can get to it quickly and I load it everynight... We don't live in a bad area but we're out in the country, if I would have to call the police it would take them (by experience) about 20 minutes to get here... We also have 2, 90lb German Shepherds, one is really docile but the other will eat you if he doesn't know you... So I guess you could say we are pretty well protected!
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:40 AM on Feb. 3, 2009

• Previous anon poster here, our 12 yr old has taken the gun safety course through our conservation dept, and so will our 5 and 6 yr olds when they turn 11... Its very important to teach them to have respect for guns at a very young age...
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:42 AM on Feb. 3, 2009

• We were planning on taking our daughter who is 5 but she isn't interested any more. If you do make sure they are old enough to understand the 4 rules. Have eye and ear protection available for your child also.
    ldsdragonmom

Answer by ldsdragonmom at 11:47 AM on Feb. 3, 2009

• The best thing to do is teach your children about the firearms. My husband grew up with firearms in his home and said he never had the urge to get them out and "play" because he was taught about them and also taught how to use them. If you take away the mystery of something ,it no longer has any draw. If he wanted to shoot, he'd ask his dad and his dad would take him. He was taught the proper care and use right from the get go. This is what we will do with our son. If you handle things right, you don't have to hide or lock anything...
    Nika75

Answer by Nika75 at 11:49 AM on Feb. 3, 2009

• yeah, my parents had lots of guns, slept with one under his matress, and i remember being afraid of it when i thought about it, or when i was around his bed, and also having no interest in it. I hope I can do that with my LOs.
    Auntiemom410

Answer by Auntiemom410 at 11:58 AM on Feb. 3, 2009