Oh no, my 2 year old just said something bad...

I asked this sweet girl to go in the kitchen and pick up my coupons that had just printed and fallen on the floor

She gets in there and says

"oh! Oh shit, look at this mess!"

Ooops. She didn't say it angrily or anything, said it very gently and non chalantly. A month ago I dropped my SEPHORA blush in the bathroom and it busted up all over the floor and I said Oh shit! and she's said it a few times since then, if I ignore it will it go away? Just replace it with a different word?

staciandababy

Asked by staciandababy at 2:01 PM on Jul. 25, 2012 in Toddlers (1-2)

• DS said it for the first time at 18 months old. The first time he said it, I couldn't help it and busted out laughing. After that he kept saying it for a while. I just told him it wasn't a nice word and he couldn't say it. He eventually gave up on it when he saw it wasn't getting a reaction.
    kmath

Answer by kmath at 2:02 PM on Jul. 25, 2012

• my little ones had said fuck once or twice and I would be like what "duck? duck?" quack quack lol.....ya don't react too much to it I'd say.
    sarasmommy777

Answer by sarasmommy777 at 2:12 PM on Jul. 25, 2012

• Welcome to 2 year old-land! Just a phase. Try not to cuss in front of her lol
    adnilm

Answer by adnilm at 2:25 PM on Jul. 25, 2012

• ROFL! When my dad was a toddler he'd push his toy cars around the floor saying "Son of a bitch. Son of a bitch." he told my grandmother that's how men make the cars go. My grandfather got an earful about watching his mouth when the kids were in the car. :)

Don't react too much and don't laugh if you can help it (which is hard, yes.) When we hit that stage I told my kids that [pick the word] wasn't a kid-friendly word. I said sometimes grown-ups gets upset and say things we shouldn't say and that I [other adult] will do my [their] best to not not use such words and likewise, [child] should not use the word either.

ldmrmom

Answer by ldmrmom at 2:26 PM on Jul. 25, 2012

• You just have to correct her and let her know that it's a bad word and not to say that.. and also where she heard it from.
    mommys2cupcakes

Answer by mommys2cupcakes at 3:29 PM on Jul. 25, 2012

• DO NOT laugh in front of her. I know at this age it is cute but don't react. She will then pick up on any reaction and then keep using it. Just let it go. If they don't see a reaction they will drop it.
    robinkane

Answer by robinkane at 3:44 PM on Jul. 25, 2012

• My DD 3 at the time....said "the f'ing t.v.". b/c she kept losing the signal for the show she was watching. I calmly pointed out that we don't use that word. Her reply was "only Daddy can". He got an earful. He was out of town with his Mom while she was having surgery. This was a very stressful time for us all, but I look back and laugh.

Another one that got me was when I asked her several times to pick something up off the floor and I finally got frustrated and said "L pick this up now". She looks around the room (nobody else's name starts with an L) and says "who me?". Yes, you "am I speaking another language". Her response was "yes". I was dying laughing. I couldn't even punish her for that one. We even had company that couldn't keep a straight face.
    coala

Answer by coala at 3:50 PM on Jul. 25, 2012

• First do not over react or it reinforces the word as a "power word".
    Second clean up the source. Where did she learn it from?
    Dardenella

Answer by Dardenella at 4:10 PM on Jul. 25, 2012

• When my oldest was about 15 months old I dropped a package of frozen meat on my toes. Two days later, he dropped a Tonka truck on his foot and instead of crying lisped 'dunofaditch'.

I was sort of in shock and honestly didn't know how to respond. Ultimately I ended up laughing (and mentally washing my own mouth out with some soap).
    Farmlady09

Answer by Farmlady09 at 4:16 PM on Jul. 25, 2012

• My just turned 4 year old has been saying damnit! I try not to react, but I'm going to have sit down and have a talk with her about it, before she goes and says it at church. It's my fault too.....it's slipped out a few times when I hurt myself or drop something.
    BridgetC140

Answer by BridgetC140 at 4:22 PM on Jul. 25, 2012