Oh no, my 2 year old just said something bad...

I asked this sweet girl to go in the kitchen and pick up my coupons that had just printed and fallen on the floor

She gets in there and says

"oh! Oh shit, look at this mess!"

Ooops. She didn't say it angrily or anything, said it very gently and non chalantly. A month ago I dropped my SEPHORA blush in the bathroom and it busted up all over the floor and I said Oh shit! and she's said it a few times since then, if I ignore it will it go away? Just replace it with a different word?

staciandababy

Asked by staciandababy at 2:01 PM on Jul. 25, 2012 in Toddlers (1-2)

• not that my ds is older (he's almost 4) we tell him he can't say "mommy and daddy words". I started telling him that around like 3 yrs old. He knows that he is not allowed to say mommy and daddy words and when he does I don't freak out and get mad but I just look at him and say "are you supposed to say mommy and daddy words" and then he says no or he'll say something similar that is a "parker word"...a kid appropriate word he knows he wont get in trouble for like "oh man"
    Parkers_Mommy8

Answer by Parkers_Mommy8 at 4:28 PM on Jul. 25, 2012

• My son (4) learned the nasty B word from his cousin. First time he said it, he was put in time out and told we don't not say those yucky words. second time he said it, he got his mouth smacked. 3rd time soap. I know it sounds mean and harsh, but DH and I don't even say those words. He hasn't repeated that word since the soap. I have little tolerance for potty-mouthed adults (around kids) , let alone children. I do not agree with the just letting it go. My son said it when he was mad, and it wasn't for attention. I know he doesn't understand what it means, but he needs to learn that that isn't something we say. For the younger kids, don't ignore it either, just say something to the affect of, that isn't how we say that, its.... that is what my mom said she did when we would pick up naughty stuff.
    BabyBugsmama

Answer by BabyBugsmama at 4:35 PM on Jul. 25, 2012